This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The academic term has now entered mid-semester. Students tend to dread this part of the semester because the class work load has increased; they aren’t prepared for the sudden change.

Often, students fall behind in class and struggle for the rest of the semester to catch up. Professors on campus have started allowing students to take a mental health day. It sometimes can be as simple as sending an email to the professor letting them know what is going on.

This may sound counteractive, but according to recent studies students and employers were found to be more productive after taking days off for mental health care.

In a national survey conducted by the American Psychological Association, one in three employees felt chronically stressed about their job.

According to an article written for Psychology Today by Amy Morin, a licensed clinical social worker and psychotherapist, there are some key signs of when someone should take a mental health day. 

1. When you’re distracted by something you need to address

Have you been falling behind in class and with homework after being on top of it all? What about doing your laundry; how long has it been? Either you’re lazy or suffering from overworking yourself. You may need a day away from everything to catch up.

2. When you have been neglecting yourself

Morin states that just like your phone, you need to be recharged too. The body can only handle so much stress before it begins to weaken, especially the mind. If you have been focusing on your school work and feeling drained, it’s probably time to take a day for yourself.  

3. When you need to attend appointments to care for your mental health

This one should be fairly obvious. If you have appointments for mental health related issues, you shouldn’t avoid them. This is going to be a key step in rebalancing and refocusing, specifically.

The article also stated that you should take a mental health day if you can’t let work stress go once you get home and it interferes with your relationships.

For this year’s mental health awareness week, make sure you take care of your mind, body and soul. Take a day to do the things that make you feel rejuvenated and ready to take on the world.

If you find that you cannot afford to take a mental health day, then you need to step back and take a moment to decompress. However, if symptoms of continue don’t be afraid to reach out to the Carruth Center on the Evansdale campus. https://carruth.wvu.edu/

Leah is a senior at West Virginia University, studying Journalism specifically focused in visual mediums. She is also perusing a minor in Women’s and Gender studies. While at WVU, she has been a photographer and written culture articles for WVU’s student newspaper, Daily Athenaeum, volunteered in the Reed College of Media’s mentor program and held executive positions within the WVU chapter of Alpha Phi Omega.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.