matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

KSU says fraternity’s “consent banner” violates codes and must be removed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Two weeks ago, Kent State University, located in Kent, Ohio, held an anti-hazing and sexual assault awareness week for its students.

Fraternity Delta Tau Delta took sexual assault awareness week to the next level by hanging a large bed sheet with the message, “Consent Matters #kNOwmore Sexual Assault”.

The hanging of this sign follows in the footsteps of yet another Ohio college, Ohio University, whose fraternities have been hanging these ‘consent banners’ for the last month at their campus fraternity houses.

However, the city of Kent recently told the fraternity that the sign violated city code in exceeding the 40-square-foot policy for signs without city permits and must be removed immediately.

The fraternity responded quickly by taking it down and replacing it with a new, 39-square-foot banner, staying just within the city’s legal limits, that said the exact same statement.

Delta Tau Delta member Mike Trauman then took to this twitter to post about their sign and its new legality, stating, “We will continue to stand up for what we believe in, raise awareness and play our part in making the world a better and safer place.”

Christina is a junior at West Virginia University studying journalism and fashion business. Christina is a media intern at WVUToday, where she reports and edits stories daily. She has held editing and directing roles in HC at WVU, and is currently a co-president of the organization. She has been published three times in Mirage Magazine, a branch off of Ed on Campus. Christina is also in charge of the activism teams newly implemented in HC at WVU: VOICES— a student-run podcast exploring current social issues. Woman-Up—bringing awareness to the underrepresentation of women in the media field. The Pad Project—an international non-profit partnership to raise awareness surrounding the lack of education and stigmas around menstruation in developing countries. Upon graduation, Christina would like to work in the PR/Marketing fields of the fashion industry.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.