Career

Ins and Outs of Getting Your First Credit Card

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

I know, even the title of the article is intimidating. If you do have a credit card how do you get over the fear of using it? And if you don’t have one, how do you know when you should get a credit card or what kind?

Well, no need to fear.  Here are some of the tips and tricks I use when handling my credit card without worry of having a massive bill to pay.

Courtesy of: Pexels

So where should you start? Start by doing research. No, you don’t have to read massive books or the rules and agreements sections of every credit card you think about to know which one is right for you. Most credit card companies have chat rooms where you can text live people to ask any question about credit cards.

Also, if you know anyone with a credit card, talk to them. What company works for them and which ones don’t?

Personally, I love my Discover card because they have a student program where you receive cash back for having good grades.

Now that you have chosen your company, started your plan and received your card, where do you start? There are lots of ways to go about credit cards in a safe way, but every plan is the same. Pay your bill on time. The easiest way to do this is to pay a portion every time you get a paycheck. That way the payments stay small and you don’t push it off until you must pay for it and you are almost never late. The way I go about this is I split my checks in half. Half of it stays in my bank and goes towards wants and savings and half go to my credit card bill for my needs.

Only use your credit cards for needs. Credit cards eventually do have to be paid off and if you start buying random candles or a cute journal to write down your bucket list you will not stop, and you will end up with a $1,000 bill at the end of the month.

Always remember to be extremely careful while signing up for a credit card but don’t let the fear consume you because you do have to use it to build your credit. Even if you only use it for gas, you have to use it once in a while. Good luck, and happy adulting!

Hali Stuck is a feature writer for West Virginia University's chapter of Her Campus. She is a current freshman at West Virginia University, studying Political Science and dance. She loves doing yin yoga as well as restorative and hot yoga. She loves chai tea and spending time outside.
Her Campus at West Virginia University