ICYMI: WVU mass shooting threat and Mountainlair evacuation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

More and more often we have been hearing about unspeakable tragedies that take place all across the country. We cannot fall into the mindset that “something like that could never happen to us,” but we also cannot overreact and take too much precaution for a circumstance that is more than likely not going to take place every time we leave the comfort of our own homes.

On Thursday, August 23, while two West Virginia University students were sitting in their class at the Health Sciences Center, WVU student Zachary Johnson allegedly said, “I honestly just feel like going home and getting my gun and killing everybody.” A few minutes later he allegedly said, “I seriously just feel like doing a mass shooting.”

Zachary Johnson is a 21-year-old West Virginia University student who is originally from Bruceton Mills, West Virginia. He was arrested the same day and charged with threats of terrorist acts.

On Tuesday, August 28, after an immediate and abrupt evacuation of the WVU’s Mountainlair Student Union and neighboring bookstore Barnes & Noble, word of more possible threats like Johnson’s began to spread like wildfire.

These threats, however, came to a quick end when word that someone had pulled the fire alarm began to arise in this rumor’s place. Nothing has been confirmed yet and the university has not released a comment, either. Although Zachary Johnson’s threats were stopped before action could be brought about, there is always some place in the world where threats do turn into reality, and for that we should always be careful and aware of our surroundings.

Link to March For Our Lives GoFundMe.

Christina is a junior at West Virginia University studying journalism and fashion business. Christina is a media intern at WVUToday, where she reports and edits stories daily. She has held editing and directing roles in HC at WVU, and is currently a co-president of the organization. She has been published three times in Mirage Magazine, a branch off of Ed on Campus. Christina is also in charge of the activism teams newly implemented in HC at WVU: VOICES— a student-run podcast exploring current social issues. Woman-Up—bringing awareness to the underrepresentation of women in the media field. The Pad Project—an international non-profit partnership to raise awareness surrounding the lack of education and stigmas around menstruation in developing countries. Upon graduation, Christina would like to work in the PR/Marketing fields of the fashion industry.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.