I Tried Making A Starbucks-Inspired Drink And It Wasn\'t That Bad. Article Graphic. Made with Canva
Lani Beaudette

I Tried Making A Starbucks-Inspired Drink And It Wasn’t That Bad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

If there is one thing that social distancing has taught me, it’s that I miss Starbucks. Due to the coronavirus, my parents have officially banned me from drive-thrus, which were my last hope when it came to having a purpose in life during my quarantine. From KFC to Dunkin’ Donuts, I had covered a lot of ground in just a few days. 

At least once a day, I still pull the, “Can I pleaseeee go to the Starbucks DRIVE-THRU?!” 

And my parents still say, “NO!” 

Since my exclusive relationship with iced vanilla lattes had come to a screeching halt, I knew I had to do some experimenting. I thought about using my Keurig to make iced coffee, but I didn’t have any creamer that I liked. I also couldn’t make a latte without an espresso machine. Then, I realized that there was one coffee drink that was undeniably a big part of my late middle school and early high school years. I decided that it was time to revert back to my old ways with the good ol’ Caramel Frappuccino. 

I looked up a recipe online: 

2 cups ice 

1 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled

1 cup low-fat milk

⅓ cup caramel sauce 

3 tablespoons white sugar 

Now, I am no barista, and when it comes to cooking, I sometimes tend to do my own thing. Therefore, I didn’t follow the exact recipe. I couldn’t imagine digesting 3 tablespoons of sugar in one sitting, considering my current lack of physical activity. 

In the morning, I made a cup of coffee with my Keurig, using the Starbucks Veranda Blend Blonde Light Roast K-Cup, and I let it chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. It probably doesn’t need two hours, but I honestly forgot it was in there.

I put 2 cups of ice, a cup of coffee, a cup of milk, about 1 tablespoon of sugar and dumped some caramel sauce in my blender. The only caramel sauce I had was Smucker’s Caramel Ice Cream Topping. I blended it all up for about 15 seconds. This recipe actually makes a lot more than I realized. It is definitely enough for two people. 

The end result actually tasted a lot like Starbucks’ Caramel Frappuccino and had a very similar consistency. I’m sure that if I followed the exact instructions, it would have been even better. One complaint that I had is that the coffee flavor in the drink wasn’t very strong. I would recommend trying a darker roast. 

Trying recipes like this one is a great way to pass time and satisfy your Starbucks craving during this period of social distancing. 

Happy experimenting!

Kasey is a senior at West Virginia University from Elkton, Maryland. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Strategic Social Media, Sport Communications and Fashion Merchandising. She loves writing, being outdoors, listening to music and going to concerts. Most importantly, she is an avid Katy Perry fan. In the future, she hopes to do PR for a sports team.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.