This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

So you’re nestled into your new home, juggling classes, papers, boys and friends, and on top of that, Hypothyroidism. Yes, that ugly word that some of us know all too well. The condition that will haunt you for the rest of your life– if you let it. I know from personal experience that it can, at times, seem completely unmanageable to deal with everyday stresses and having to be aware of what you are doing to your body at the same time. That’s where the problems begin.

For those that don’t know, the thyroid gland is a butterfly shaped organ located around the base of your neck. It is essential for creating hormones, controlling your body’s metabolism, periods and just about everything else– from unwanted body hair to the most important organ, your heart. With Hypothyroidism, your gland doesn’t produce enough of the Thyroxine (T4) and Triiodothyronine (T3) hormone, and with Hyperthyroidism it makes too much. Only with these hormones, or hormone replacements like Synthroid, will your body be able to keep running perfectly.

If you are one of the unlucky ones, like myself, you have to remember to take a synthroid tablet every morning before ingesting anything else. At the beginning when i was diagnosed, I never took it, never remembered and didn’t care. But it often left me feeling awful and in pain, something I do not recommend doing to yourself. Only recently, with the help of the alarm on my phone, and post-it note on my bathroom mirror, have I begun to take it everyday. Little things like that will help. Without it, you’re left feeling even more drained after a long stressful day. Like me, you could also be possibly suffering with depression, that often comes along with this disease– which doesn’t make any of this any easier.

One of the best ways to help combat this disease while in school is to eat healthy. Yes, I know you’ve heard it a million times, and yes it’s not easy to do. I know you don’t have the time or the money– I get it. But hear me out, I promise you what I have to say will help. The worst things for you is caffeine and sugar, obviously, but we’re going to drink it anyway, so just begin to limit yourself to one caffeinated drink a day. Even though the craving is real, you must persevere! Find healthier options, like Ginseng tea or water with B12.

The thyroid LOVES protein! So go nuts, literally, just no peanuts. While in line at Starbucks by the Mountainlair, there are plenty of protein bars sitting there waiting for you to take them. Certain fruits– apples, peaches and grapefruits for example– are good choices for an on-the-go breakfast. You also need fats, fiber and probiotics, so yogurts like Activia are quick and easy. Another great option (although hard to do) is to go gluten-free. Eating gluten can actually increase the autoimmune attack on your thyroid.

You’re really not going to like me for this one, but you need to exercise. I know you run around all day like a chicken with your head cut off, but you will feel so much better afterwards, and your body will thank you for it. I’m not saying to stress yourself out over going everyday either, because we all know sometimes we just don’t have the time. But to put it on your planner and stick to it when you do have a chance will do you a lot better than nothing at all. And please don’t forget to bring lots of water!

Reducing your stress is another important wellness factor. It sounds impossible, but doing things like yoga or meditation can really help your mind and soul to cleanse. I always make the time everyday, even for just a few minutes, to meditate. Just focus on your breathing in a quiet place and let all your worries drift away. Maybe surround yourself with salt lamps and healing crystals to add extra serenity to your space.

Finally, always remember to get your levels checked, at least every six months. Without that information, you don’t know where your body stands. With too much synthetic hormone in your body, that can make you sick as well. So it’s a constant battle, and you have to remain strong and love yourself. Practice good habits, even just starting small, one day at a time, and you will eventually be where you need to be. Life isn’t a race, take your time and enjoy the only one you’ll ever receive.

For those who don’t know, Student Health has a clinic located at the Health and Education Building across from the Student Recreation Center, so you can easily take the PRT from anywhere you are on campus. They accept walk-ins, but for primary care like Thyroid evaluation, you must make an appointment. They are closed on Sundays, so in case of small emergencies you can head over to Urgent Care, which is also on the Evansdale campus.

Student Health Clinic’s phone number is 304-285-7200 to schedule an appointment.

Student Health’s website.

Urgent Care’s website.

Jamie is a Freshman at West Virginia University, majoring in English, minoring in Japanese Studies and Teaching English as a Second Language. She is a creative writer from Annapolis Maryland, and also a girl with wanderlust. She is looking to inform, educate and inspire the girls on campus, as well as being a hand you can go to for help.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.