How Morgantown, West Virginia Quickly Became My Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Being from Augusta, Georgia, you can imagine my hesitation to venture so far from home and throwing myself into a fiery pit of discomfort, but I couldn’t imagine being anywhere other than here for college.

I’m one of the few freshman lucky enough to be taking classes associated with my major already, meaning I have opportunities to connect with people I’ll be having classes with throughout my time earning my undergrad. I can’t express the thankfulness I have for my small group of friends, especially since I came to West Virginia University knowing absolutely no one other than my roommate.

Morgantown has stolen my heart. I’ve realized that I’m learning more and more secrets about the area, and I find myself getting excited to show my family and friends around the downtown area in hopes of them seeing the town in the same way I do.

Whether it’s as simple as getting a vanilla latte from the Grind, or exploring the pet store on North High Street, I’ve been grateful for the tiny gems found with the area.

It’s been a difficult transition, there’s no doubt about that, but it’s one that I’m grateful I get to experience with such a tight knit group of friends.

Throughout my time adjusting to the hustle and bustle that coincides with not only being a college student but being so far from my parents and my dog, will always be a challenge, no matter my age. Living somewhere like Morgantown has made that transition one that has allowed me to mature in a way that other college towns wouldn’t have. The quirkiness of Morgantown is what really charms someone from the outside. The variety of food and bar options and the various hole-in-the-walls are what have made me fall in love with it.

West Virginia quickly became my home. I’ve been living here for the last month, which my phone GPS noticed and has updated my address from Augusta, Georgia to here and was quite a shock to me. It’s easy for somewhere new to become your home when you’re surrounded by people who are welcoming and thriving the way the students at WVU seem to be. I couldn’t have picked a better school or a better town to move to in order to begin this new chapter of my life.

My name is Tori Vincent, I'm a freshman journalism student here at WVU, with a love for the outdoors, shopping and writing. I enjoy traveling and trying new things, as well as, helping others. I also love photography and hope that one day I can be a photojournalist for National Geographic.
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.