How to Ace Your Next Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Summer is fast approaching. That means right now is prime-time for job and internship interviews for the summer! Here’s how to ace your next interview.

• Do your research. Employers take great pride in their companies, so nothing says that you are unprepared more than stumbling over a common-knowledge question about the company. Research the company: their objectives, qualities, mission statement, audience, etc. Knowing that you are prepared will help to ease your nerves. 
  • Dress to impress. Be aware of the atmosphere of the company in which you are interviewing for and dress appropriately. A good rule of thumb is to dress the same or slightly more dressy than the employees who already work there. Avoid clothing that is too loose or too tight, skirts that are too short, and most important of all: iron your outfit. No matter how nice your outfit is, wrinkles say sloppy. 
  • Don’t be late. I cannot stress this enough! Plan to show up 10-15 minutes early in order to find where your interview is located and collect your thoughts. Racing in at the last minute or showing up late is a sign of disrespect and can ruin your chances before you even interview. Early bird gets the worm!
  • Ditch the gum. Yes, fresh breath is a must for your interview, but be sure to get rid of your gum well before hand. Chewing gum is distracting and can affect your ability to speak clearly. 
  • Ask questions. Engaging with the employer and asking questions shows your interest in the company and can make a good impression. However, there are several questions you should avoiding asking at all times, such as:
  1. Any question regarding your salary. This is pushy and can sound like you have already assumed that you are hired. We all know what assuming does. 
  2. When you will get promoted. Again, what does assuming do? 
  3. Any question to which you can find the answer online. This is a clear indicator that you have NOT done your research. 
  4. If you will be able to get a week off for your beach trip. This, again, is something that can be discussed with the employer after you have been hired. For the first interview, it is best to leave it out. 
  • Follow up. If your interviewer does not give you a date that you can expect to hear back from them, follow up a week or two later. A simple courtesy call or email will remind the company that you are still interested in them and the position.