Homecoming Queen Candidate Amanda Hutchinson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Amanda Hutchinson grew up in the Pocono Mountains in small Pennsylvania. Although Hutchinson attended Delaware Valley High School in PA, her family is from southern W.V. Since Hutchinson has attended WVU, she has served as a governor in the student government association, pledged to the Alpha Omicron ( A o Pie) sorority, and served as leader for students with disabilities. Hutchinson says serving in leadership positions has given her the confidence she needed to push WVU towards a more ADA accessible campus.

Q: What made you want to run for Homecoming King or Queen?

“I was the only person in high school that came to WVU.  I didn’t know one person and I’d sit in my dorm room myself. I was ready to transfer. Over the last few years, I’ve grown into a stronger woman. I wanted to represent WVU as a leader and I wanted to show them the person I’ve become. I was scared to go into my lecture halls and now I have the ability to go out on the field in front of thousands. If  I can go out onto the field and show people that someone with a disability can have everything they want in life.”

Q: Why do you think you would be a good King or Queen and why do you deserve this title?

“I’ve already been a leader. I feel like someone who is queen should be well rounded. I’m in a lot of clubs, I’m successful in my academics and a good role model.”

Q: What does WVU mean to you?

“It’s become my home away from home.”

Q: What would it mean to you if you were named the 2015 Homecoming King or Queen?

“I literally think about it every single night what it would be like if they put the crown on my head. It’s been an interesting experience running a campaign by myself. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be a candidate, let alone winning. It would be comforting to know the student body supports me like that and I’ve come such a long way.”

Q: What are your connections to the state of West Virginia?

“My mother was born here and my aunt currently still lives here and my uncle, and my grandmother currently still lives here who is my biggest role model and I want to make her proud. I’ve been singing country roads since I was old enough to talk. It’s always been a big part of my life.”

Q: If you had one message for the students of WVU, what would that message be?

“Just because someone has a disability doesn’t mean their life is over. You can still go out, you can still make friends. You can have a job and be happy. If you’re feeling along on campus, the best thing to do is get involved.”

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.