The Guide To Properly Ghost Someone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Many of us girls have most likely talked to or dated someone that you were really into at first, but overtime, you become interested and bored. You want to end things so bad, but don’t know the right way to do it. If you’re anything like me, and hate confrontation, ghosting is the solution to all of your problems. Here is the ultimate guide on how to correctly ghost someone:

After you decide if you are really invested in the relationship or not, follow these rules on how to relieve yourself of a relationship. Please note that the process of ghosting takes time and is typically a seven-day process.

On Day One, you lessen the text amount. For example, instead of texting all day long like normal, you prioritize other tasks over texting the person back, like doing your nonexistent homework.

Day Two is when you cut down even more on texts and begin to shorten phone calls. Instead of talking on the phone for an hour before you go to bed, limit your goodnight phone call to 20-30 minutes. In addition, the texting amount should continue to decrease. Keep doing that nonexistent homework.

Day Three is when you come up with excuses about pretty much everything, and communication is cut even further. One word texts are appropriate at this point, and you need to start making excuses for why you have seemed distant when your S.O. starts to question you. If you can’t think of any, the “sorry I was at the library” or “sorry I thought I answered you” usually works. 

Day Four is when the read receipts come on, so they know that you are blatantly ignoring them… and keep the excuses coming. This is where girls tend to screw up. If you don’t have your read receipts on, TURN THEM ON. It is critical for the other person to know that you are ignoring them, so they begin to get the subtle hint that you want nothing to do with them anymore.

On Day Five (hopefully this is on a weekend) no drunken calls or texts, but lots of drunken snaps. You want the other person to know that you’re out and having fun, and are too busy to answer any of their text or calls, but you can still snap them. This will most likely make you look like a huge bitch, but that’s what you want them to think, so when you are done with the ghosting process, there will be more reasons why you’re a bitch than just because you ghosted them.

Day 6 is the “I’m too hungover to answer you.” You read all the texts, send the calls straight to voicemail, and open all snaps, but you just can’t gather up the energy to send a response. However, if your feeling daring, you might even tweet or upload a picture to Instagram.

On Day 7, if they don’t get the point by now, be thankful you ghosted their ass.

*** Do not show this to any of the male species.

Hey, everyone! I'm Jamie. I'm a Senior Strategic Communications major with Emphasis in Public Relations. I'm a Pittsburgh native, and after graduation I hope to pursue my passion in Public Relations and writing!
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.