Career

Greta Thunberg: Teenager, Student, Activist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Although for some, global warming and climate change are “fake news” to many others these are two genuine issues our society is currently facing. Many are unaware of the devastation that is occurring to our planet, while others, who are aware, are unfortunately reluctant to take necessary action. This past March, speakers at the United Nations warned world leaders that there are an estimated “11 years left to prevent irreversible damage from climate change”. The fact that our planet is in such a volatile and vulnerable state is terrifying. However, amidst the controversy and complacency that is our very polarized political world, Greta Thunberg proves there is a serious need for action and that she is a force to be reckoned with. 

Greta Thunberg, a 16-year old student and climate activist from Sweden, began skipping school in August of 2018 and protesting outside the Swedish parliament against the passive stance the Swedish government was taking on climate change. Thunberg posted on social media and very quickly went viral. She said she would not return to school until the necessary measures were taken and policies were passed in compliance with the Paris Agreement. Thunberg encouraged her peers as well as others to join her efforts, leading to her “Skolstrejk för klimatet” or “school strikes for climate”, which now occur worldwide because of Thunberg. She has inspired and motivated 1.6 million young people in over 100 countries to participate in protests and rallies in order to demand action. She went on to launch Fridays For Future, to spread her message and organize collective protests and rallies worldwide. 

Thunberg’s engagement and recognition go beyond just protesting outside parliaments and viral hashtags. She has given remarkable TedTalks as well as other speeches at the UN COP24 summit, European parliaments, at the European Economic and Social Committee. She has received numerous awards, was on the cover of Time magazine and has been the focus of several pieces in countless publications. In July, German Chancellor Angela Merkel credited Thunberg as the reason for the German government’s having taken action after Thunberg spoke at a rally in Berlin. While receiving praise from celebrities and political officials, Thunberg’s experience in the public has not always been positive.  The intergovernmental organization OPEC, comprised of oil-producing states, stated Thunberg and other young activists alike were the “greatest threat to the fossil fuel industry.”Rather unfazed by this, Thunberg simply tweeted that it was her “greatest compliment yet”. 

Despite the merited recognition and traction Thunberg has gained, she does not plan on stopping until the appropriate action is taken to combat climate change and global warming. Thunberg continues to strike every Friday alongside several climate strikers in other countries.  In September is FridaysForFuture’s Global Week for Future, a week-long climate strike from the 20th to 27th.  FridaysForFuture has newsletters, outreach programs and online registration for upcoming climate strikes near you! 

Zoë Skvarka is a senior MDS major at WVU. Zoë grew up living overseas, going back and forth between Turkey and Greece. Zoë is passionate about activism, fashion, alternative pop culture and art in all of its forms.