This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Whenever that first leaf of fall hits the ground, girls emerge out of their caves to embrace the sweater weather and pumpkin patch pics. While we are basically taking our pumpkin spice lattes through an IV and picking out Halloween costumes that will make our dads the most proud, winter is creeping up faster than the year before. Only horrible thing about fall is that it lasts for ten seconds. So instead of getting the cold weather blues, time to prepare correctly for the long winter approaching the right way. Because there is so much to look forward to!

1. Shop for winter clothes and shoes!

Come on! Sweaters are a girl’s best friend, and the bigger the better. Boot season is the best season! Socks, Socks, Socks, Socks!!! EVERYBODY!!

2. The winter activities!

You are never too old to go sledding, so grab your friends and head to the nearest chalet! Ice skating, building snowmen, hot chocolate by the fire! Are you kidding me?

3. The food!

C’mon, you knew this was coming. If you think I am not proud of the extra layer I will obtain over the holidays you are insane. The college students were all nestled in bed, while visions of turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes danced in their heads. And don’t get me started on the cookies.

4. The movies!

Hallmark movies may be the cheesiest thing on the planet but you get a cup of hot chocolate with the fire going and a big blanket, I am sold for the rest of my life. And I won’t lie, I look forward to 25 days of Christmas on ABC Family more than I will my wedding day.

5. Finally, the holidays!

Winter is jam packed with three major holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.Thanksgiving you will never get judged for drinking too much, getting seven helpings of food, and passing out directly after. Christmas, you get to listen to Mariah Carey everyday, spend time with your family and enjoy the holiday spirit. And New Years, well I never really remember New Years, but I always think I have fun!

Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.