This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

When going through recruitment at any school it quite possibly will be one of the most stressful processes you might go through in your life. Whether that be because you’re stuck in crappy January weather, you keep getting asked back to houses you just want to drop, or you get a full schedule every day and your mind keeps changing about the chapters you prefer. Either way, you will always have to get through the bad to get to the good.

One detail I noticed during the week not only for myself but for my friends that went through recruitment is that you have to find your sign. It could be early on, or it could be right up to Preference Night when your decision is completely up to you. My sign was sent from the Greek Gods above on the second day, house tours, even though I didn’t even realize it until later in the week. That round was the only day I didn’t even think twice about my outfit. I knew I was going to wear my favorite jean jumper from H&M, a classic white turtleneck, black knee highs & some COMFY (always go with the comfortable shoes) black booties. I thought that ensemble truly emphasized my style and personality. You’re probably wondering at this point why my outfit matters so much. It’s because that was my sign. As soon as I walked into the Chi Omega house that day each and every girl was wearing a form of black&white and jean. As I was being guided through the house, I probably had 6 other girls say to me things like:

“Look at you two match.”

“You already fit in with us.”

“How’d you know to wear that?”

And I can honestly say when I came out of the house that day I had a pretty good feeling about Chi O.

For others, there are smaller, less obvious signs. Such as, wearing that one ring every day of your life without even the thought in your mind how it could have any influence on you during recruitment. Until that last night, when you’re looking around the room and you see anchors everywhere. Then you glance down at that favorite ring, and in that moment you realize there is an anchor on that too. The sign was there all along.

What I can honestly say is there may not be a sign for everybody. Luckily for me and my friends, we all were shown some sort of suggestion on which chapter was the best for us. With that being said, it is true when your Rho Gamma, those YouTube Vloggers, or friends already affiliated with a chapter say to “trust the process” because it will honestly lead you to the home you’ve been looking for.

Riley is a junior at West Virginia University, where she studies Strategic Communications, Event Planning and Sports Communication. Outside of her involvement with Her Campus, Riley is a sister of the Chi Omega Fraternity and works as a Live Sales Coordinator for University Tees. One of her favorite memories of Her Campus so far has been attending College Fashion Week in NYC in fall 2018. She believes her quick weekend trip to NYC solidified her hopes and aspirations for herself and even inspired some new goals she hopes to achieve. Riley is a massive fan of Britney Spears, even in her 2007 downfall, Panera's Cheddar & Broccoli Soup and online shopping. Once she graduates, she aspires to be in Public Relations or Event Promotions for a professional sports team or concert venues, but in the meantime, you'll catch her rewatching every episode of Friends till 2021.
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.