This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Ask any person who wears makeup and you’ll hear the same response – makeup is expensive. I spent $66 at Sephora last week and I only purchased two products. What consumers fail to see in the age of YouTube beauty gurus is that makeup doesn’t have to be expensive to be high quality. Here’s a list of the best drugstore foundations for your skin type to help get your collection started. I’ve tried all of these myself and love them all.

Oily Skin: wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

$4.23, Walmart

This foundation does have a strong scent, remnant of a Mac foundation, so be aware of that before purchasing. There are also a limited number of shades in the collection. The product has a satin-matte finish that doesn’t oxidize. It’s full coverage and has been tested in seven different lighting conditions, according to Wet n Wild.

Oily/Combination Skin: Revlon Colorstay Foundation

$9.95 Walmart

This was my go-to product in high school. Not only does it promise a 24 hour wear time, it’s also full coverage. It finishes more on the matte side, but still manages to have a natural finish. Plus, this product has an impressive range for a drugstore foundation.

Oily/Combination Skin: Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless

$4.39 Target

This lightweight foundation minimizes the appearance of pores and features a wide shade range (for a drugstore foundation) with varying undertones. With 36 shades that extend well into deeper, darker colors, this foundation has grown to become a favorite.

Dry/Combination Skin: Maybelline Fit Me Dewy & Smooth

$5.59 Rite-Aid

Both of the Fit Me foundations contain SPF, which can produce flashback, the appearance of a white cast on your face in flash photography photos. This is something to keep in mind if you’re planning on taking a lot of pictures, but in natural and artificial light, this foundation is beautiful. It gives a skin-like finish while still providing coverage for acne or redness.

Dry Skin: L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Glow

$8.79 Target

When choosing a shade from this line, it’s important to keep in mind that the shades run a little pink or yellow-toned. The texture feels ultra-light on the skin and finishes as demi-matte. The foundation is oil-free and promises 24 hour wear.

Normal Skin: NYX Total Control Drop Foundation

$9.79 Target

The foundation formula is fairly watery and is able to build and create a custom coverage. It is also a makeup artist favorite due to the simplicity when mixing shades together to get a perfect match. I wore this foundation for my school play in high school and dumped the entire thing on my floor, so it put a bad taste in my mouth. If you’re incredibly clumsy, be careful as this is a dropper foundation in a frosted glass bottle, meaning you need to remove the lid to use the product.

Haylee Hickman loves everything about art. She enjoys music and poetry in every aspect. Haylee loves film and writing as well, producing an award-winning short film and a full-length novel. In the future, Haylee anticipates working in the music industry performing, writing, writing as a music journalist, or creating media content for other artists. She would also adore a career in film. Haylee believes in equality, self expression, and telling your story.
Her Campus at West Virginia University