Finding the best foundation for your skin

Ask any person who wears makeup and you’ll hear the same response – makeup is expensive. I spent $66 at Sephora last week and I only purchased two products. What consumers fail to see in the age of YouTube beauty gurus is that makeup doesn’t have to be expensive to be high quality. Here’s a list of the best drugstore foundations for your skin type to help get your collection started. I’ve tried all of these myself and love them all.

Oily Skin: wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

$4.23, Walmart

This foundation does have a strong scent, remnant of a Mac foundation, so be aware of that before purchasing. There are also a limited number of shades in the collection. The product has a satin-matte finish that doesn’t oxidize. It’s full coverage and has been tested in seven different lighting conditions, according to Wet n Wild.

Oily/Combination Skin: Revlon Colorstay Foundation

$9.95 Walmart

This was my go-to product in high school. Not only does it promise a 24 hour wear time, it’s also full coverage. It finishes more on the matte side, but still manages to have a natural finish. Plus, this product has an impressive range for a drugstore foundation.

Oily/Combination Skin: Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless

$4.39 Target

This lightweight foundation minimizes the appearance of pores and features a wide shade range (for a drugstore foundation) with varying undertones. With 36 shades that extend well into deeper, darker colors, this foundation has grown to become a favorite.

Dry/Combination Skin: Maybelline Fit Me Dewy & Smooth

$5.59 Rite-Aid

Both of the Fit Me foundations contain SPF, which can produce flashback, the appearance of a white cast on your face in flash photography photos. This is something to keep in mind if you’re planning on taking a lot of pictures, but in natural and artificial light, this foundation is beautiful. It gives a skin-like finish while still providing coverage for acne or redness.

Dry Skin: L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Glow

$8.79 Target

When choosing a shade from this line, it's important to keep in mind that the shades run a little pink or yellow-toned. The texture feels ultra-light on the skin and finishes as demi-matte. The foundation is oil-free and promises 24 hour wear.

Normal Skin: NYX Total Control Drop Foundation

$9.79 Target

The foundation formula is fairly watery and is able to build and create a custom coverage. It is also a makeup artist favorite due to the simplicity when mixing shades together to get a perfect match. I wore this foundation for my school play in high school and dumped the entire thing on my floor, so it put a bad taste in my mouth. If you’re incredibly clumsy, be careful as this is a dropper foundation in a frosted glass bottle, meaning you need to remove the lid to use the product.