Fall Favorites: Pumpkin Spice Vs Apple Cider

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

As the fall season begins, so does the popular world-wide apple and pumpkin spice product trends. Yes, we get bombarded with everything apple and pumpkin. From pop-tarts to chapstick and even bubble bath soap, it seems to become the obsession this time of the year. And you can’t forget about the famous Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes and hot apple cider. This brought me to a question I was curious about, which one is the ultimate fall drink, apple cider or pumpkin spice lattes? 

Apple cider has been one of the favorite drinks to enjoy around the fall season. It has been around approximately more than 50 million years according to foodfuntravel.com. Since then, people have learned how to make cider in many ways and improve the recipe for their unique variations. 

The other fall beverage everyone seems to obsess over, Pumpkin Spice Lattes. They have only become popular since the fall of 2003 when Starbucks released their Pumpkin Spice Latte to parallel with their other seasonal drinks such as the Peppermint Mocha and Eggnog Latte. 

In 2015, a food blogger by the name of Food Babe discovered the true ingredients to Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte and exposed that there was actually no real pumpkin in the drink. Compare this to apple cider where the first ingredient has always been real apples from orchards, and one can tell what the more authentic drink is.

Since apple cider’s first and main ingredient is the apple, that means it is more widely available and you can get it during any time of the year. Apple cider can also be made from different types of apples! Unlike the pumpkin spice latte where the original one comes from Starbucks. You can get them at other coffee shops and stores but one cannot easily find a recipe they can make at home, or it may not even include real pumpkin.

Apple cider contains real crisp apples from orchards which means that you are getting more health benefits compared to a Starbucks drink that doesn’t contain real pumpkin! According to healthline.com, apples promote weight loss, bone health, heart health, and other benefits.  Starbucks pumpkin spice latte now only contains a small amount of pumpkin puree. So honestly, people weren’t and still are barely getting the benefits of real pumpkin when consuming this beverage.

I made a twitter poll on Apple Cider or Pumpkin Spice Latte. I made this twitter poll out of curiosity to see if apple cider or pumpkin spice lattes were more of a favorite. Here are the results from the poll.

Overall, the poll shows that the verdict is that apple cider is the ultimate drink for the fall season. From the sweet apple taste to all the health benefits you get, who wouldn’t want to curl up and watch the leaves fall while drinking Apple Cider? Hot or cold, Apple Cider always gives off the fresh warm fall vibes and I’m here for it!

Edited by Katie Carnefix

Payton is a Freshman at WVU majoring in Fashion, Dress, and Merchandising. She plans to pursue a career in Fashion Buying. She loves beauty, fashion, social media, and spending her free time with friends.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.