This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Every person says they want to see the world. Experience new cultures, music, and food and see every beautiful sunset or mountainside. But it seems like among all of our responsibility we have here at home, we could never have time to travel, right? Wrong. College is actually one of the best times to explore the world. You may not be completely financially stable, and that’s okay. There are ways to get money for the traveling you do and places you can go that cost a lot less than you would expect.

Getting cash for your trip

1. Check out your universities study abroad program

Not all of these are semester long trips that cost 20K. A lot of them are 2-4 week programs during the summer that can be covered by financial aid. You just have to apply for the funds!

1. See if there are any scholarships out there right for you

Check with financial aid advisors at your school to see if there are any other options out there if you aren’t able to receive Financial Aid.

1. Plan ahead and work

Know the places you want to go way ahead of time and work your but off to cover that $3,000 student account charge. Don’t wait too long; studying abroad is best done in your sophomore year. So plan ahead if you want the best options.

1. Travel on your own

Yeah following the schools itinerary might be easier, but it’s not flexible. If you want to go your own way, it actually might cost you less. You also have the freedom to make as many detours as you want and stay as long you want.

Where to go

The most expensive part of the trip will absolutely be your plane ticket. It costs anywhere from $1-3,000 to travel to a different country, depending on where you are flying from, to and what time of year. Book ahead, preferably at least 6 months.

1. Puerto Rico

A beautiful place with limitless destinations. You can either head to tourism capital San Juan or head to the south for a less occupied area. Either way, you’re in for an amazing adventure. Oh and you don’t need a passport.

Average plane ticket: $350

1. Italy

I know about a lot of people that have gone to Italy…a lot. And anywhere you go, Rome, Florence, Milan or Venice, you’re in for immense amounts of wine, gelato and pasta.

Average plane ticket: $800

1. Ireland

I’m actually planning a ten day trip here right now for thanksgiving break and you’d be surprised how cheap it actually is. B&B’s are scattered all around the country for stays as little as $30 a night. The city is beautiful and the countryside, breathtaking.

Average plane ticket: $850

1. Amsterdam

Holy beer. You haven’t truly visited the Netherlands without a stop to the Heineken brewery or to the Anne Frank house. Among other things a visit to the local markets and street vendors will have your taste buds soaring.

Average plane ticket: $2,000

1. Thailand

Such rich culture and the preferable climate. Don’t hesitate to enjoy local cuisine and just lay out on the beach all day. But don’t be afraid to immerse yourself in the culture either. Traveling through Thailand is very cheap and can cost you as little as $40 a day.

Average plane ticket: $1,500

Keep in mind that although some plane tickets might be pricey the cost of traveling through the country is way less. If these don’t fit your budget, keep looking to find the destination that is right for you and go for it! You have the time and limited responsibility now, why waste it?