Style

Everything you need to know about the new “bullet-journal” trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

It’s the start of a new school year and staying organized can be such a drag. Yeah, some planners are fun and colorful but what if you could create your own?

Bullet journaling is a relatively new trend that allows you to color, organize and create your very own planner. You start with a completely blank journal and, literally, design it however you want. Erin Condren and Happy Planners are fun too, but creating your very own themes is so much better.  It definitely takes time and effort, but I find it to be super relaxing and fun. If you think you might want to start bullet journaling, but don’t know how, I’m here to help!

First, you’ll need to start by getting a bullet journal. I use the Leuchtturm1917 from Amazon. Make sure that you get the journal that comes with dotted pages rather than lines. It makes it easier to customize and draw on.

You’ll probably want to pick up some pens/markers as well. I like to use the Pigma Micron pens to write with. You can get them from Amazon as well or at your local arts and crafts store.  I like these because they come with all different point sizes. If you already have pens that you like, you definitely don’t have to get these. To add color, I use the Crayola SuperTips markers. They don’t bleed through the pages and the pack comes with lots of different colors.

After you get just these few simple supplies, you can start your journal! At this point, you can just use your imagination and do whatever you want. When I first started mine, I watched a lot of YouTube videos to help me get inspiration. The best part? You don’t have to be super creative or great at drawing to design a bullet journal. AmandaRachLee is my favorite YouTuber to watch when it comes to bullet journaling. Every month, she posts a new video of a monthly layout for her bullet journal. She also posts videos of different doodles, fonts, banners, etc. that you can use to style your journal.

Bullet-journaling makes using a planner so much more fun and can be really relaxing and stress-relieving. I have always found that using a regular planner can be tedious, but I actually love planning with my bullet journal. I start my morning with a cup of coffee and getting organized with my bullet journal. I totally encourage you to give it a try if you’re considering it. It’s not as hard as it looks and it’s so satisfying to know that it’s completely your own!

Victoria Price is a sophomore strategic communicatons major at West Virginia University. She is emphasizing in public relations and minoring in law and legal studies, with hopes of attending law school after graduating with her Bachelor's degree. Aside from being a member of Her Campus, Victoria has written for Ed on Campus, WVU's student magazine organization. 
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.