Article Graphic. Made With Canva
Article Graphic. Made With Canva
Design by Lani Beaudette / Canva

“Don’t Worry Darling”: Harry Styles Is Single-Handedly Saving My 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

If you know anything about Harry Styles, it’s that he avoids social media like it’s his job. The most we see of him is when he’s tearing it up on stage during touring season, but thanks to a certain global pandemic that’s flipped this world upside down, my official worst nightmare has struck. All of my concerts for 2020 were canceled.

Canceled.

Harry Styles was the only one to reschedule his tour, but even then, it was still going to be another year and a half before I’d see him on a new date.

If you know anything else about Harry Styles, it’s that he’s the kindest man in the music industry. Maybe the world. Am I biased? Possibly and probably— but we can ignore that.

Styles saved my whole year because he’s officially been cast to be in Olivia Wilde’s new movie, “Don’t Worry Darling.” It’s like Styles said, “Well since my fans won’t be getting two hours of me being an absolute rock star every other night, might as well give them two hours of me on the screen instead.”

Does anyone know how I can send Wilde my thanks, and maybe get her to cast me as an extra?

The movie, a psychological thriller set in the 1950s, stars Styles as Jack, husband, and the gorgeous Florence Pugh, as Alice, wife, living in suburban California. All is fine and well until Alice discovers something that causes the reality of her very existence to crumble and come to light before her own eyes.

The movie is based on the original script by the Van Dyke Brothers; I must have read this at least twice through. It definitely has earned the title of a psychological thriller. Even with just reading it, I could envision the events and how disorienting— and at the end, gory— that it could be portrayed on screen. The script was the third most mentioned script on the 15th Edition of the famous screenwriting Blacklist of 2019, the hotbed for unproduced projects.

I’m not going to lie, in the script, Styles is undoubtedly the bad guy. I kind of dig it, though. He does have a lead role in a movie, after all, so I don’t think I should complain in the first place. There’s no telling how different the new script will be compared to the original one, but either way, seeing how Styles fits into and takes on his role is going to be an interesting ride. His character in Christopher Nolan’s “Dunkirk” wasn’t exactly a great guy either. Maybe he likes playing the bad guy because he’s so good in real life? Harry Styles, if you’re reading this, please let us know. It’s for science.

Despite being excited to see Styles as a lead villain in a thriller, I’m almost sure that seeing him all decked out in ‘50s style clothing is going to cause me to go into shock. I mean, are you kidding?! I can see it now in my head and I’ll give you a sneak peek: it’s glorious. I will be melting in the theater. That is, if theaters are even open by then. If not, then you know where to find me for the whole week after the movie’s release— tucked in my blankets like a hermit crab with evil Styles playing on repeat.

Everything about the movie 100% makes up for the lost months and delay of “Harry Styles: Love on Tour.” Mr. Styles, I’m so sorry I ever doubted you. Can I make it up to you by being the best extra on set? Perhaps a backup singer on tour? Again, if you’re reading this, let me know.

A date for the movie’s release has not yet been given to the public, nor has it been confirmed when filming will start. Either way, “Don’t Worry Darling” is sure to be a hit.

Lizzy Kotch is a freshman at West Virginia University, majoring in Advertising & Public Relations. She is from Marlton, New Jersey, and is an absolute Disney fanatic. On top of writing, she loves spending her free time singing, watching movies, painting, and hanging with friends and family.
Kasey is a senior at West Virginia University from Elkton, Maryland. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Strategic Social Media, Sport Communications and Fashion Merchandising. She loves writing, being outdoors, listening to music and going to concerts. Most importantly, she is an avid Katy Perry fan. In the future, she hopes to do PR for a sports team.