This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

According to World Bank researchers, the world produces at least 3.5 million tons of plastic and general solid waste every day. The statistics regarding our trash and our consumption and its effects on our planet are indisputably disheartening, but, there are simple lifestyle changes that we can implement into our daily lives that will reduce our waste and better our environment. 

The first thing that often comes to mind that has become a real movement, is limiting plastic use. States and other countries have taken necessary actions to reduce plastic consumption and certain cities and companies have also banned single-use plastic straws. Through various viral videos and social media campaigns, we see how plastic devastatingly affects our marine life. 500 million plastic straws are used in the US on a daily basis. While it may be convenient and “easier” to just grab your drink and straw and go, it is contributing to landfill, ocean pollution and threatening our marine life. There are many alternatives to consider such as reusable straws and even bringing in your own reusable cup when buying a drink if the establishment allows it, that way your quick coffee trip can be completely waste-free. It can be difficult or seem like a hassle to implement these alternatives into your daily routine, but it adds up. 1 metal straw is equivalent to about 540 plastic straws and 1 reusable cup is equivalent to roughly 500 coffee cups. A simple adjustment in your consumption patterns will reduce waste and benefit our environment for the better.

Implementing reusable items doesn’t stop at straws and cups, reusable bags for grocery shopping or just daily life should be prioritized. 1 reusable bag accounts for around 170 plastic bags, considering on average how many bags we use when we do our grocery runs, it definitely adds up and is one of the most effective ways to reduce waste. 

Aside from plastic bags and straws, there are still more reduced waste/zero-waste alternatives that we can turn to. Bamboo toothbrushes and other bamboo utensils are better for the environment as bamboo is extremely durable and the plant does not die when it is cut in order to make bamboo products. You can consider purchasing recycled toilet paper in bulk from companies such as  Who Gives a Crap. They produce fully recycled toilet paper and have donated over $1,300,000 to charity as well. For personal hygiene, you can use shampoo and soap bars to eliminate even more plastic consumption. The possibilities and ways to reduce waste are truly abundant and not only cost-effective but the most beneficial and sustainable for our environment. 

Trash is for Tossers and Eco Collective are two great resources for reduced/zero waste lifestyle changes as well as points of reference for general ethical/sustainable living. 

Zoë Skvarka is a senior MDS major at WVU. Zoë grew up living overseas, going back and forth between Turkey and Greece. Zoë is passionate about activism, fashion, alternative pop culture and art in all of its forms.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.