This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Midterm elections proved to America that we can, in fact, come together on something and that is voting. The United States had the biggest voter turnout for midterm elections in more than half a century. 49 percent of eligible Americans voted, which is awesome! (Go us!) But back to the bad news, another thing that the midterms proved to us was that America is still very divided. The Democrats have the House and the Republicans have the Senate and 40 percent of voters cast their ballots just in opposition of Trump. So what does this all mean? Don’t worry I’ll break it down for you.

Gubernatorial, Meet Republicans

Swing states are very important for the 2020 election, and the biggest swing states Democrats needed for the next election was Ohio and Florida, which the Republicans took both. Governors are a key role in how a state votes, and this was definitely a loss for Democrats.

Trump is the most polarizing President there has ever been

Two thirds of voters said that all of their ballot choices had to do with Trump. There has never been a President this influential to voters for midterm elections, and as I said before, four out of 10 voters voted in opposition of what Trump had endorsed. Whether people want to admit it or not, Trump is the most powerful President in modern politics.

LET’S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS!

Ladies, we are so awesome for many reasons, but let me tell you why we should be extra proud of our girls. Women made up more than half of the overall electorate! We should all give us girls a round of applause for getting out there and voting, but wait there’s more….In 2019 there will be more than 100 women in the House for the first time in history!  Man, I feel like a woman.

Dems win big for the House

A huge victory for the party considering its projected they will gain 35 seats for the house. This puts the Democratic party at a huge advantage after the 2016 election. Not so good news for Trump.

Senate stays Republican

They renewed their lease and added a few tenants. The Republicans will stay the majority of the Senate and have increased it. With a Senate majority, the GOP can continue confirming the conservative judges that Trump wants, and they will keep pushing his agenda.

Diversity at last!

Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar will be the first Muslim women in Congress alongside, Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland, the first Native American women elected to Congress. Jared Polis will become the first openly gay man elected governor of Colorado. Veronica Escobar and Sylvia Garcia will be the first Hispanic women from Texas elected to Congress. Arizona and Tennessee also have made history in electing its first female senators.

Her Campus at West Virginia University