Country Roads Sent Me Packing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Whether it is going to be your first year here at WVU or if you’re returning for yet another year, there are plenty of things that are completely necessary if you want to be fully prepared for the WVU experience. We are known for our wild Mountaineer Football games, epic Fallfest lineups, gruesome winters, and if you don’t take a chance to explore the wild and wonderful places surrounding campus, are you even a WVU student? We compiled the perfect checklist to have you coming back to school feeling confident that you have everything you need for a great year!

Walking around campus:

It doesn’t matter if you are walking to class, visiting the Mountain Lair, or meeting a friend on High street for lunch, there are certain things you want to have when making your way around our HUGE campus:

• Sunglasses for people watching and rough mornings, you can thank us later 
  • Dresses are always great if you’re in a morning rush, and will always come in handy if you decide to rush in the fall!
  • Rain Gear (L.L. Bean boots, rain boots, rain jacket, compact umbrella) 
  • WVU apparel: you can never go wrong showing school pride
  • Sneakers: you are going to be doing A LOT of walking so make sure you are mentally and physically prepared now  
  • Work out gear if you plan to utilize the REC, who knows you might even find a campus cutie
  • Winter Gear (winter jacket, snow boots, NO UGGS don’t be the girl everyone is watching struggle down the hill to class) 
  • Trust us no one will be judging you if you are dressed for a blizzard, the winters get brutal here so pile on the layers.
  • Flannels 
  • Scarves
  • Hats/gloves
  • Thick leggings (fleece inside)

Fall Fest:

One of the most anticipated events at WVU is Fall Fest and it’s hosted on the first night of classes. Every year the lineups get better and better. Almost every student on campus will be there so you will want to look your best. Here are few items of that you will definitely want to try for that night:

• Comfortable sandals: it is a rush to get in, you don’t want to be tripping in wedges
  • High waisted shorts (Please ladies help us all, keep your butt fully in your shorts)
  • Palazzo pants: they are comfortable but still very stylish
  • Kimonos: they are colorful, adds something to an outfit, and will keep you cool when the sun goes down
  • Crop tops (no graphic tee crop tops, this is college not your little sisters closet)
  • NO floral headbands, I repeat NO floral headbands

Going Out:

Morgantown’s night life is definitely a sight to see and one of the main reasons students from other universities come to visit. Whether it is a house party in Sunny Side, a frat party, or one of the many bars or clubs is just calling your name, there are items you will need to survive your weekends out on the town even more than you will need to survive the mornings after. 

• Small cross-body bag or wristlet to hold all the necessities: phone, money, lipstick, and ID
  • Cheap heels: If you do decide to venture out remember we go to a school in a mountain, don’t waste your money on buying the new Steve Madden heels. Morgantown kills soles. 
  • Outfits that can be easily turned into Halloween costumes. In Morgantown we call it Halloweek for a reason, so prepare to go out the entire week.

Game days:

Game days at WVU are one of the only days you are willing to wake up at 7 am just to shot gun beers and watch Mountaineer football. People certainly wear some interesting things to football games. But as a WVU student, we show more pride than anyone else and that means blue and gold from head to toe. Here are some things you will need for a proper day of tailgating:

• Blue and gold accessories (statement necklace, socks, hats)
  • Night Games are a must and usually cold…a puffy vest and a sweater will keep you warm throughout the whole game if not your day long drinking should help keep you warm!
  • WVU apparel: the bookstore has a bunch of things to wear for game days
  • Buy the coon tail hat and live out your dreams as the mountaineer
  • ANYTHING you can find that is blue or gold including plain colored shirts (just add accessories!)
  • Comfortable shoes (flip flops, tennis shoes, sandals, Keds, Vans)
  • Victoria’s Secret PINK has WVU apparel that will keep you comfortable and still fashionable 

Exploring West Virginia:

WVUs campus isnt the only thing that is beautiful in the state of West Virginia. WVU students are lucky to be surrounded by beautiful mountain tops, swimming holes, and lookout spots that only make West Virginia feel more like home. With so many wild and wonderful places to go, you will need to be prepared:

• Bathing suits: it may get cold at some point, but while the weather is warm, Blue Hole and Cheat Lake are the perfect spots for students to go to get their day drink on and enjoy the water
  • Hiking boots: Cooper’s rock is a place you should visit at least once while you’re at WVU. There are also different trails that are perfect for a morning run

No matter what you are doing at WVU, you’re going to have a great time. There is a lot to look forward to this year so pack your things and get here as quick as you can. Just don’t forget to pack the most important thing: your WVU pride! Let’s go Mountaineers!