Culture > News

Cosmo’s #VoteTwice Campaign Is Everything Our Generation Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Cosmopolitan teamed up with Rebecca Minkoff, the queen of her self-titled fashion empire and role model to women everywhere, to create the #VoteTwice initiative. The strategy strives to encourage their own audiences to be politically active by voting in the primaries.

PHOTO: Ruben Chamorro for Cosmopolitan

Depending on the state, the primaries begin in March and are held until September including the November midterm election.

Minkoff and Cosmo teamed up to create T-shirts that look similar to classic band tees with the logo on the front and the primary “tour dates” on the back. Except they’re not real tour dates at all–they’re the dates of each state’s primary. The logo on the front of the shirts says “Vote Twice” and features an American flag patterned hand making the peace sign to create the ‘V.’

The shirts are $48, which may seem pricey but all proceeds go to IGNITE, a nonpartisan organization that encourages women to run for office.

PHOTO: Rebecca Minkoff

PHOTO: Rebecca Minkoff

Cosmo has also teamed up with Rock the Vote and IGNITE to help people register to vote. Both organizations are nonpartisan groups encouraging young people to join political discussions and vote in every election.

No matter your political affiliation, Cosmo encourages everyone to join national discussions and vote for the things that you believe in, specifically young adults. “We want every young person in the country, no matter their political leanings, to go to their primaries and their midterms and to cast ballots,” Cosmo’s Digital Director Jessica Pels told WWD.

Cosmo’s partnerships are the cherry on top of the numerous movements and walkouts led by the young people and teenagers in our country. History is being made right in front of our eyes so no matter which side of the political spectrum you are on, use your voice and vote for what you believe in. As my mom has always said, “if you don’t vote, you can’t complain.”

“We think that the more young people who are engaged the better, period,” Pels said. We couldn’t agree more.

COVER IMAGE: Cosmopolitan

Kristen completed her undergraduate degree in journalism at West Virginia University in May 2019. She is currently pursuing her master's degree in the Integrated Marketing Communications program at WVU. During undergrad, she was the managing editor of Her Campus at WVU and editor-in-chief of Mirage Magazine in the 2018-2019 year. Kristen is currently the student editor at 100 Days in Appalachia and a freelance writer for West Virginia-based publications. Previously, she has served as the communications and marketing intern for the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, a writing and editing intern for New South Media and a photographer for the Daily Athenaeum. She is an avid fan of alt-rock, photography and advocating for women's equality and the prevalence of solutions journalism. Kristen hopes to one day report on internet culture and technology. 
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.