Breaking Your Social Media Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Raise your hand if you know where your cellphone is at all times. If its not glued your hand its within close proximity to you that you can grab it at any time, right? Now how many times a day do you check your social media accounts? More than you’d like to admit I’m sure! Don’t worry; we’ve all been there. Incessantly checking Twitter, making sure your Instagram pic got enough likes, Snapchatting your life away…its an obsession. With the holiday season approaching, we need to take a step back. Stop capturing the moment and just enjoy it.  Here’s how:

Step 1- Recognize that you have problem

It sounds a bit silly, but the truth is you’re not going resolve the issue if you can’t own up to it. Accept that you spend an exceedingly large amount of time on your phone/laptop/tablet. Once you do, you can get a handle on it.

Step 2- Remember why you have (Twitter/Snapchat/Instagram/Facebook) in the first place

Your original idea was to stay in touch with your friends, occasionally check up on what they’re doing, etc. Now it’s not so clear. It’s something between stalking old acquaintances and a fear of FOMO. Take a step back and think about the real reason you have “insert social media account of choice here.”

Step 3- Set Limits

Once you’ve owned up to that reason, think about how much time (a reasonable person) would spend on said social media. Think about how many times a day or during what time of the day you will allow yourself to check your accounts. Make a plan, stick to it, and forgive yourself if you slip up a few many times.

Step 4 – Managing Your Time

There are many things that you could be doing with your time besides being on your phone. Catching up on homework, actually making it to the gym, engaging in conversation with a physical person. Whatever it is, being on your phone has robbed you of time that could be spent doing something productive.

Step 5 – Following Through

Quick recap. You’ve accepted that you often waste your life away on your social media accounts, you’ve recognized why that is, you’ve set your limits, and you’ve realized your missing out on potentially amazing experiences. Now its time to turn those words into actions.

Should you lose your willpower along the way and fall victim to the wonderfulness that is Pinterest, don’t worry, there are other ways. Moment is an app that tracks how many minutes you spend on your phone each day and how many times you unlock it. It lets you set limits on your phone usage. You’re welcome.

Ashley a senior from Virginia Beach, VA attending WVU. She is currently majoring in Print Journalism and minoring in Spanish. After graduating in May 2016, she hopes to start her career by writing for a magazine or online media company. Besides blogging, she enjoys the going to the beach, watching movies and spending time with the ones she loves. 
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.