Article Graphic. Made with Canva. Books You Definitely Read if You Were a Bookworm in Middle School
Lani Beaudette

Books You Definitely Read If You Were A Bookworm in Middle School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Was your backpack half full of books in middle school? Did you read during every break and take accelerated reading tests religiously? If you at all considered yourself a bookworm in middle school you will recognize some of these books…

1. The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins

Every Harry Potter fan always dreamed of attending Hogwarts… Hunger Games fans, not so much. But for real, if you didn’t try to do the mockingjay whistle or only wear side braids for a solid year after reading, you were not a dedicated fan.

2. The Mazerunner- James Dashner

If you pictured your freshman year of highschool similar to being a “greenie” in the Maze Runner, I relate. If Ben’s death and visions of the grievers didn’t haunt you, I don’t know what book you were reading. Also, I don’t know about you but reading the book with your friends and figuring out which famous figures all the characters were named after made me feel really smart.

3. The Selection- Kiera Cass

Team Maxen or Aspen? I was team America, because she was a total badass. The songbird necklace scene? Amazing. America was the perfect mix of princess and dystopian heroin we didn’t know we needed.

4. Twilight- Stephanie Meyer

Team Edward or Team Jacob? I’ll stop there. Even then, reading this series was frowned upon but I did.

5. Shiver- Maggie Stiefvater 

More werewolves, but a different series. Teen romance, but with a twist.

6. Hush Hush- Becca FitzPatrick

If you read this series, you know Vee was the OG combat boots trend starter. Also, how much more tall dark and handsome could you get than Patch? Furthermore, angels were a nice change of pace from vampires and werewolves. Not only that, but fallen angels.

7. Divergent- Veronica Roth

Factions- the new Hogwarts Houses. Let’s be real, everyone wants to claim they’d be Dauntless but we would all be factionless. I think I still have tears in my eyes from the zipline scene. Cheers to living through fictional characters. 

8. I am Number Four- Pittacus Lore

Every fan of the I Am Number Four series wanted cool alien powers or at least to be like Sarah and date an alien but alas, our lives were perfectly normal.

9. The Darkest Minds- Alexandra Bracken

We all wanted to be Ruby and be Liam’s love interest. Maybe more than that we wanted the group’s friendship. We can all also agree on our hatred of Clancy. Furthermore, if you read the entire series Jude truly deserved better. 

10. Fallen- Lauren Kate

If you don’t know what this cover looks like spoiler: you can’t possibly get any more emotional and mysterious. Complete with a dark and handsome love interest.. sound like any other teen book plot?

11. Maximum Ride- James Patterson

Who didn’t want to fly and kill monsters? If you read all of these, you were a true fan.

12. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer- Michelle Hodkin

Broken, mysterious boy… sound similar to you, yet? 

13. The Mortal Instruments- Cassandra Clare

If the only reason you recognize this is because of the show, you definitely were not a tween bookworm. This was almost everyone’s favorite, and actually very good.

14. Cinder- Marissa Meyer 

A very interesting spin on a classic Cinderella. This captivating cover caught your attention and phenomenal writing made you finish.

15. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children- Ransom Riggs

Let’s be honest, you only read this book after looking at the strange vintage photography inside. If you liked anything abnormal or odd, you loved this book.

Edited By: Cheyenne Oakes

Malory Adams is a sophomore English major at West Virginia University. She enjoys reading, film, photography and adventuring.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.