Style

The Bold Colors and Shapes of 2019 Golden Globe Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The 75th Annual Golden Globe Awards were held on January 6, and these celebrities made vibrant power moves on the red carpet.

Camilla Belle

Courtesy of @CamillaBelle on Instagram

This look took all the glamorous criteria of the traditional ‘Hollywood-actress-at-an-award-show’ and twisted it to fit the cool-girl mold. Actress Camilla Belle added a funky twist to a classic silhouette in this custom Jason Wu gown.

There is power in details; the royal blue dress with a metallic, emerald floral print matched seamlessly with her emerald smokey eye makeup and clutch purse. The beautiful structure of the dress paired with edgy accents made for a unique combination that set Belle apart from other celebrities on the red carpet.

Lupita Nyong’o and Danai Gurira

Courtesy of @lupitanyongo on Instagram

Black Panther actresses Lupita Nyong’o and Danai Gurira stepped out in adorned gowns that together made for a striking ‘fire-and-ice’ moment. Nyong’o’s blue beaded Calvin Klein gown— resembling droplets of water or icicles— had dynamic movement on the red carpet. Her $45 heels from Aldo must also be mentioned (yes, relatable bargain queen!)  

On the warmer side, Gurira wore a red Rodarte gown with metallic embroidered details. The structured bow on the shoulder added interesting shape to the already-stunning gown.

Of course, both women looked amazing on their own, but the looks seemed to be made for each other.

Lady Gaga

Courtesy of @ladygaga on Instagram

A star was born, indeed. Lady Gaga dawned voluptuous, periwinkle Valentino Haute Couture that everyone loved— especially, the internet. Some thought she was paying homage to Judy Garland, who also wore a periwinkle dress with large sleeves in the 1954 version of A Star Is Born. It turned out to be a wild coincidence, but regardless, her look stole the show. Her icy white hair was tinted the same soft blue as her dress. Using the delicate color of the gown and incorporating it into something as edgy as unconventional hair color added a fun and fresh twist to the classy look.

Indya Moore

Courtesy of @indyamoore on Instagram

“I feel like a superhero,” Vogue quoted from Indya Moore in a silver Louis Vuitton dress and bold red lip. The transgender actress flaunted her body through the holes of the eccentric piece in order to make a statement about her identity. This powerful message aside, the structured piece and matching shoes made for a unique and strong look on the red carpet.

Elsie Fisher

Courtesy of @elsiefisher and @elsiefisherupdates on Instagram

There were many monochromatic looks at the Golden Globes this year, but this one took the cake. 15-year-old Elsie Fisher made her debut appearance at the Globes in a red velvet KENZO suit and looked nothing short of bad-a**. The breakout star has been seen wearing menswear recently while promoting her film Eighth Grade, but this look topped all of the other occasions.

On the topic of good-looking red-carpet pairs, Elsie was photographed with Bo Burnham, the writer and director of the film, and while a traditional men’s suit and tie has become redundant, the red and black suits looked clean and fierce when paired together.

Billy Porter

Courtesy of @theebillyporter on Instagram

Billy Porter showed up award-show-ready in this beautiful take on menswear. First and foremost, the floor length cape made Porter look regal no matter the angle. Secondly, the floral embroidered details on the shoulders of the cape and sewn within the suit added a delicate and organic touch to the already strong statement piece. After all, spring is award show season.

Lastly, there was the pink that shocked the masses. The rich fuchsia hidden in the inside of the cape was the cherry on top; the bold, feminine yet powerful pop of color tied Porter’s royal look together. In the wise words of Erica Gonzales of Harper’s Bazaar, “Thank you for blessing us with this look, Billy.”

Olivia Gianettino is a freshman honors journalism student at West Virginia University. Besides writing, she loves playing the banjo, making crafts and doing yoga. She is a year-round Halloween enthusiast and sports a pair of yellow Crocs everywhere she goes.
Her Campus at West Virginia University