Best Vintage Thrillers for Halloween

Maybe you’re just not that into dressing up, finished reading your childhood Nancy Drew books, or simply forcing yourself into the Halloween spirit.

Here are 5 psychological thrillers that will give your eyes a rest from the gory slasher films of today’s blockbusters, while sending you back in time.

1. The Bad Seed (1956)

Eight-year-old Rhonda is seemingly perfect on the outside, but who would guess that she’s a pathological killer?

Photo via Alchetron

2. The Exorcist (1973)

No thriller collection can be considered complete without the original of this classic story.

Photo via the Daily Herald​

3. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)

Two sisters, one wheelchair, and a substantial amount  of jealousy. What could go wrong? Find out with this major plot-twist.

Photo via the Associated Press

4. Les Diabloliques (1955)

This black and white French film is definitely worth the watch, because don’t we all love a wife and mistress teaming up?

Photo via IMDB

5. Portrait in Black (1960)

Getting away with the perfect murder of your husband is perfect… Unless you haven’t really gotten away with it.

Photo via IMDB

Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.