Wellness

The Best Remedies For Overcoming Cold Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Fall is arguably the best time of the year. It’s the season of apple picking, pumpkin patches, sweaters, thanksgiving dinner and hot cocoa, just to name a few. Aside from all of those amazing reasons to love Fall, it is also the season of getting sick. While cold and flu season might be an unavoidable and quite unfortunate aspect of the holiday season, there is no reason to dwell! I have found a few amazing remedies that help me combat having a cold and I am excited to share them with you. 

Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold

Alka-seltzer is one of my favorite go-to’s when I need to get over a cold. You just dissolve two tablets per 4oz of water, four times a day. It has multiple cold symptom-relieving qualities and keeps you hydrated. 

Vicks VapoRub™

One of the most annoying components to a cold is having a cough, which is where Vicks VapoRub™ comes to save the day. If you like a little bit of a lavender scent, I highly recommend getting the version with lavender, it smells amazing!

Elderflower and Elderberry

Elderflower and Elderberry products in the forms of tea and supplements are a wonderful way to combat cold symptoms. These products are especially great if you prefer homeopathic remedies. I prefer it in the form of tea because the hot liquid feels soothing on a sore throat.  

Oscillococcinum

Not going to lie, it took me about three years to figure out to properly pronounce this medicine. Oscillococcinum is another great homeopathic remedy, especially for fighting flu-like symptoms. The contents come in tiny little tubes and taste like candy.  

Nasal Spray

There is nothing worse than trying to have a good night’s sleep when you have a stuffy nose; another dreaded symptom of cold and flu season. Fortunately, nasal spray exists and is a great way to get fast relief. There are many brands and types of sprays out there to choose from when finding one that’s right for you.

Disclaimer: These are remedies that have worked for me for a common cold, but might not work for everyone. Consulting a doctor about other effective medication can be extremely helpful, especially if your symptoms are more severe.

Edited by: Geena Anderson

Allyna is in her final year at West Virginia University. She is an International Studies major and Women and Gender Studies, and Leadership minor. She is currently an aerie brand ambassador, where she works as a role model to promote aerie's mission of empowering women to love the skin their in. After graduation, Allyna intends to work with companies and organizations that challenge the fashion industry to become more sustainable, and ethical toward women and children. Allyna loves blogging, yoga, her dogs and traveling!
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.