neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

In an interesting Twitter thread, Michael Ian black made a point that could very well be true – are men broken?

In light of the recent tragedy in Florida, people have taken to Twitter to unleash their thoughts on the situation. While most have been in support of gun control or more restrictions on current gun laws, Black had a different opinion.

He believes that men may be “broken.”

The revelation is quite interesting. It took me by surprise when I first read it, but I somehow agree with the points he is making. Over the years, the only way to become a “man” was to possess masculinity. Women have naturally been known as gentle, fragile, sentiment, etc. – but what about men? Men have had an image of superiority, authority, toughness, and even heroic qualities (just look at a majority of the superheroes). With all of these images being engrained in a boy’s mind during his entire childhood, it is no wonder why men feel as though they have to be “masculine” to be of any value as they get older.

Personally, I feel as though men should not have to feel terrified. You should be able to express your fears and emotional/psychological well-being and not be petrified of the consequences of confiding. It is sad that something so common or stigmatized could be the deep-rooted issue of many.

Is there a stigma surrounding masculinity? Is it something that we as a society do not want to face since it has become the norm? Are men truly broken from this preconceived notion of their being since the learning of their gender?

I don’t know if anyone has or will ever have the answers to the persona of masculinity and how this concept can affect a whole entire population. Black proposed an interesting thread on his initial statement, and it is definitely worth the read.

Greetings! My name is Graeson Baker and I am currently a junior PR major here at WVU. For more info about me, feel free to check out my personal website at http://www.graesonbrooke.co.
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.