photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Amazing Vegan Recipes for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Thanksgiving is such a great holiday; being able to spend time with friends and family, the fall weather, and lots of food. But starting in 2017, there has been a shift of what people like to eat and now a lot of people are not eating eat or dairy products because of the harmful side effects. Thankfully the internet has blessed us with a ton of easy and delicious recipes you can try out for Thanksgiving. From appetizers to mouth dropping desserts, put down the turkey, here are the Her Campus WVU top picks!

Appetizers:

Spinach Dip

If you have never tried vegan spinach dip, I feel bad for you. Luckily, I found a great and simple recipe to follow. This feel-good recipe is only 125 calories and the texture is just as the same as regular spinach dip, the only thing that’s different is Daiya ‘cheese’ and other ingredients used to compensate for the dairy products.

Cumin Apple Chips

Can I get a apple crumble cip with confectioners’ sugar on top please?! If you didn’t get my corny vine reference, I’m sorry. Back to this recipe– this is such a sweet a simple appetizer that everyone in your family will love. With only five ingredients and crisp taste of Granny Smith apples, everyone will be coming back for seconds (or thirds).               

Sides:

Saffron Mashed Potatoes

I can’t picture Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes. This dish is a creamy “no-fail kind of side dish that is loved by both kids and adults alike”, according to the chief herself, Tori Avey. If you’re looking for a good topping, my favorite butter to added to anything is Earth Balance Organic Butter.

Thanksgiving Stuffing

PASS THE STUFFING! The Full Helping has an amazing thanksgiving stuffing if you’re looking for a more filling side. This recipe is considered an entree because of how big it is and you can save it for post Thanksgiving hungries up to four days.

Main Course:

Red Quinoa Pilaf With Kale and Corn

Quinoa is such a great grain because it is high in fiber, protein and gluten-free. There are also many many benefits from eating kale: has vitamins A, C, & K, only 33 calories per cup, and 2.5 grams of fibers. Needless to say, this is a dish that you can have copious amounts of and never feel bad about it.

Maple Glazed Tempeh, Squash, and Brussels Sprouts

Vegetable lovers, this is right up your alley. This maple glazed recipe is sweet and savory. The glaze takes away the bitterness of the brussel sprouts. Such a truly amazing main course that you can eat all fall.

Desserts:

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

Finding this recipe has saved my life. In my hometown, there was nothing I craved more than pumpkin pie ice cream from South St. Creamery. When I became vegan, I thought this was going to be the one thing I was truly going to miss during the fall. Luckily this amazing recipe from May I Have That truly is super creamy and delicious! I cannot wait for this to be served this year.

Chocolate Avocado Mousse With Fresh Raspberries

Did someone say chocolate AND avocado? Not too many people know this but cocoa powder is actually vegan. This dairy free recipe is great for dairy and non dairy lovers because you can hardly tell it’s not actual chocolate mousse. On top of this, it takes around ten minutes to make!

Te'a DiNapoli is currently a senior at West Virginia University from Morristown, NJ. She majors in journalism and minors in fashion merchandising. Te'a is involved in writing for West Virginia University's Ed on Campus magazine as well as running a personal blog YourDailyTea. During her free time, Te'a enjoys recording and producing her own music as well as drawing. As a writer for HerCampus, she hopes to create more connections with college students interested in the same subjects as she is as well as gain more experience with blog writing. In 10 years from now, Te'a hopes to see herself as a contributor for The Rolling Stone Magazine.
Her Campus at West Virginia University