This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The Wrecks are a 5-man band from Thousand Oaks, California who carry quite the interesting story with them. After forming back in 2015 the band quickly realized that they needed to put out music but didn’t have the budget to do so. So on a whim, they snuck into a studio in a house that a friend was watching and recorded their debut EP “We Are The Wrecks” in three short days.

Fast forwards a few years and at this point, the west coast alt-rock band has opened up for some of the biggest names in the scene, like All Time Low, and managed to sell out a large portion of their first U.S. headlining tour. After that and a few label issues, they finally headed into a barn (yes, an actual barn) to record their second EP “Panic Vertigo”. And, let me tell you, this is just the icing on the cake on to end out what has been the biggest year for them as a band.

So, without further a due, here is my track-by-track breakdown of “Panic Vertigo”:

1. Figure This Out: As the kids would say, this song is a jam to open the EP with. The upbeat track keeps with the album’s theme of young adult angst perfectly and keeps a positive tone while doing so. The chorus makes you want to dance around and the message of the song is very clear throughout the whole song. It sets the tone for the rest of the album and was a perfect way to introduce the remainder of the album.

2. James Dean: Now, I can say I have been lucky enough to hear this song live quite a few times now. The song kills it live, and when I saw that it was going to be on the record I was slightly nervous that the rawness of the song that we saw live would have been stripped away. The song is electric and catchy, the perfect combination for a song with the potential to be a radio hit.

3. Way with Words: I also have gotten the chance to hear this one live, and it’s a banger. The up-and-down sound from the guitars and bass helps to shape the song to sound like something you’d hear at a big festival, which is funny because the band will be hitting a few big-name festivals this year. The vocals on this track almost sound raw but in a good alternative rock sound. The pauses in the chorus build suspension for what’s to come next throughout the song. I can’t lie I listen to this song when I go to class because it makes me walk faster, so if you’re known for being late for class this song is for you.

4. Panic Vertigo: This is the track that the whole thing is named off of, so of course it’s good. The use of the acoustic guitar adds a nice homey vibe that makes the song seem more personal. The song opens with “So it goes, I’m drinking whiskey by the pint” and if that doesn’t scream young adult angst I don’t know what does. This song is the song for some reason I’d see being played during a major competition T.V. show, it’s just so catchy and has such an upbeat vibe to it. The lyrics are empowering and relatable to probably most people in their early twenties, so when you’re having a bad day I highly recommend listening to this one.

5. Revolution: The heavier beginning of this song is a nice touch to their alternative rock sound. Throughout the track, they also add in more playful riffs which makes the song pretty unique. The vocals in this one are raw and add a fun pop-punk sound to the track and album as a whole. I also love how present the drums are in this song like how they are in most of their work.

Overall, this album is a complete jam. The songs are electric and between them and their other EP (and the rest of the songs that they have written and played live), they have managed to create a very individual sound for themselves. If you want the chance to hear these jams, The Wrecks are headed out on tour with Dreamers and New Politics, which kicks off in Ohio tonight, and then will be doing a run with the Technicolors and The Maine right after. You can also catch them at Bottle Rock and Bunbury Festivals this spring and summer.

Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.