Style

The 90s Styles That Took Over The Runway This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The 90s didn’t end in the year 2000. The grunge music and skater culture remain relevant today, and we are constantly seeing it grow in the fashion industry. Unless you live under a rock, you know that last month was fashion month. Among almost every collection for Spring 2020, there was a common theme of your favorite 90s styles. From the headpieces to the shoes, let’s examine the looks that are allowing this era to live on forever.

Square-Toed Boots

Balenciaga Spring 2020 Ready-To-Wear

What you’ve heard is true! The square-toed boot is back! This style stands as an iconic staple of the 90s grunge era, and Balenciaga, along with other designers, is bringing it back for Spring 2020. Despite what you may think, these boots don’t have to be designer. You can find a vintage pair at Goodwill or an affordable pair at your favorite retail chain! Trust me, they will be everywhere in just a matter of time.

Slip Dresses

Alexander Wang Spring 2020 Ready-To-Wear

Slip dresses were introduced to the fashion world way back in the 30s. As The Great Depression struck middle-class Americans, the wealthy few made a point to show off their luxury items such as fur, lace and of course, silk. The slinky, feminine silhouette of slip dress made a major comeback in the 90s. This time around, it was worn casually with a t-shirt or combat boots. Three decades later, in his Spring 2020 collection, Alexander Wang did a beautiful job of depicting this staple in a fresh way. His designs are keeping the 90s slip dress alive after all these years!

Chokers

Gucci Spring 2020 Ready-To-Wear

We’ve all come to know and love the chokers of the 90s, but it was interesting to see them reworked into Gucci’s collection for this spring. This show focused a great deal on layering textures. In the photo above, you can see metallic, snakeskin, suede and silk all in one look. The choker adds an extra touch of polished leather, a very subtle and pleasing detail.

Leather Coats

David Koma Spring 2020 Ready-To-Wear

Gucci chokers weren’t the only time leather was showcased this fashion month. The Ross Geller inspired coat was involved in a multitude of shows. This look from David Koma’s collection was my favorite. I love the matching pants and the modern off-the-shoulder top underneath. This look is so chic!

Bucket Hats

Prada Spring 2020 Ready-To-Wear

When I see a bucket hat, I immediately think of the 90s hip hop culture. No matter how you wear it or what style it is, this accessory is as chic as can be. Prada did a beautiful job of displaying the playful look of the bucket hat throughout their entire collection. They added a fresh touch by flipping up the edges, giving off an effortless vibe, but altogether remaining high fashion.

As you can see, the 90s will live on forever. Your favorite collections of Spring 2020 are going to elongate the fashionability of the era. So, pick up some square-toed boots and a leather coat, because we are time-traveling next season!

Edited by Katie Carnefix

I am a first-year Fashion Merchandising student here at WVU. I love blogging and thrifting!
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.