8 Things My Sophomore Year Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

When August came around, I was dreading it because that meant school was quickly approaching. I was not looking forward to the sleepless nights from studying, the hours of homework, and the wasted money on books I wouldn’t even open. As my sophomore year comes to an end though, I find myself with many unforgettable memories and lessons I’ve learned:

1. Time flies by

You won’t realize how quickly time has gone by until you’ve looked at pictures throughout the semester. It’ll feel like just yesterday when you stayed out much later than anticipated, and ended up sleeping through your alarm the next morning.

2. Everything changes right before your eyes

Just like time moving quickly, you also won’t realize how much has changed until you look at pictures. People change, life changes, but that’s okay. Change isn’t always easy, but it can be good for you.

3. You will still call your parents for everything.

You might draw a blank, and forget how to separate laundry. Maybe you want that one recipe for your mom’s famous chicken to make for dinner. Even if it’s just because you want to see how they’re doing, you will find yourself still constantly calling your parents.

4. Dinner is never at a specific time.

On top of studying and homework, you will eat dinner whenever you find the time too. It could be 4 p.m., or it could be 10 p.m.

5. Your roommate(s) will become your bestfriend(s)

Since you live under the same roof, you will be spending a ton of time with your roommate. You will spend hours talking when you should be studying. If your roommate already isn’t your best friend, get to know them more and maybe they will become your best friend.

6. You’ll spend money on pointless things you don’t need for your apartment

You don’t need the 3 in 1 breakfast maker that’s on sale at Walmart just because you love the color, or the amazing banana slicer. Put it down and walk away. Save money on something better, like food!

7. Cooking takes too much time

When you first move into your apartment, you’ll probably make gourmet meals for the first couple weeks. You’ll soon realize how much time it takes to cook a meal, and eventually stop. You’ll start making microwavable meals again.

8. You won’t look forward to moving in/out again

It’ll be just as bad as it was freshman year. Try to find a place you’d want to stay at for however long you’ll be at college because moving in and out is miserable.

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!