8 Things I Wish I Knew After Saying Goodbye to High-School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

You did it. You’ve made it through four of the easiest years of your life. You’ve been looking forward to college since day 1 of your senior year, right? Maybe you’ve been looking forward to it even way before then. You can’t wait for the freedom you’ll have and the endless memories you’ll soon make. What you don’t know is that once you get to college, everything, and I do mean everything, will change.

1. #BFFS4LYFE, or at least that’s what you thought.

Unfortunately, unless you go to college where your bestie is going chances are you may never be as close as you once were, but that’s OK. College is a time for you to branch out and meet a ton of new people! You’ll always have the memories you shared with your old bff, but you will soon create new memories with all of the future bffs you’ll make.

2. That boy you were obsessed with will no longer matter.

There’s plenty of fish in the sea. Just wait, you’ll realize this the second you get to college and see all the hawt boys. You’ll totally forget the one you were obsessed with in a second. What was his name again??

3. You never realized how much clothing you have until you had to pack for college.

5 suitcases and 3 bags later, you finally have all of your clothes packed up. Do you even remember the last time you wore that hot pink sweater? I bet you’ll find clothes that still have the tags on them. There will be some clothes that you’ll find and have no idea why you even bought them. Someone tell me why it was a good idea to buy 3 pairs of cheetah print leggings!?

4. Your high school teachers weren’t liars.

They aren’t wrong when they say high school is totally different than college. That math formula you thought you’d never use again will come back to haunt you. You think you’ll never have to use that stupid MLA format, but you WILL.

5. LEARN TO STUDY.

I can’t stress this ENOUGH. If you went to a high-school like mine then you rarely ever had to study because classes were easy but once you get to college you’ll be so lost when it comes to studying. What is a good way too study? What is important information to know for the exam? HOW DO YOU DO THIS? Pick up good studying habits before you get to college! Trust me it will only help you in the end.

6. Professors still DO care about you failing.

How many times have you heard, “In college professors will just let you fail. They don’t even care if you show up,” from your teachers in high school? Well they were WRONG. Yes, you may get some professors like that, but others really don’t want you to fail! Some will give you so many extra credit opportunities to basically ensure that you do well. If you are failing, go talk to your professor! They will give you advice on how you can help yourself and better your grade.

7. You’ll talk to your parents a lot more than you think.

You’ll find yourself calling your parents at least 3 times a day because you forgot how to separate your laundry, or need to know what kind of sauce your mom buys, or simply because you just want to say hi. Appreciate the time you have with them while you’re home!

8. You won’t be the same person you were in high-school.

College is a time for you to grow! It really is a time for you to “find yourself,” as everyone always says. Every single experience in college (especially during your freshman year) will change you. There will be times when you find yourself stepping out of your comfort zone and wonder why you didn’t do that years ago. Don’t be afraid of what’s coming because I promise it’s great!

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!