7 Reasons You Should Date A Journalist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Journalists are flies on the wall. We observe everything and anything. We write and document. We see life through a lens, with a pen in our hand. Being close to a journalist can be intimidating. You know they write about their experiences and document their lives. But, one day you could be what they’re writing about. That itself sounds terrifying, but I promise you there’s more than meets the eye.

1. You know your moments together are genuine.

Journalists write about things in their lives that have a great influence on them. In order to spend time writing or documenting a piece, a journalist usually has some bit of interest in the topic he or she is writing about. You are telling a story as a journalist, so if your journalist significant other writes about you, you know it’s real.

2. You always have photos to look back on.

Journalists may not always encompass photography skills or even genuinely enjoy photography, but overall it falls within the lines of what journalists do: document. For those journalists who do have interest in photography, you’re in luck! You would never have to worry about not having memories to look back on, because they will always be at the touch of your fingertips.

3. They are open communicators.

Journalists will let you know what is going on. They develop skills needed to communicate with all types of people in order to develop the best story possible. This skill is necessary in a relationship. A relationship would be nothing without communication. For journalists, this comes second nature.

4. They will edit your papers.

The perks of dating someone who edits like it’s their job (literally) is that they can help you out in more ways than one. Journalists have a specific set of eyes when it comes to writing. Every comma, every period, every grammatical error sticks out like a sore thumb. Your heart may be happy, but your grades will be happy too.

5. They are involved in the community.

Journalists know people. Not because they avidly seek to be social, but because they talk to a variety of people every day for every task at hand. Journalists serve to tell the community’s story. They relay information from the source to the people. This is truly admirable as you see them in action.

6. They are incredibly driven.

Journalists get their work done by a deadline, always. No excuses. No horseplay. The 24-hour news cycle creates a constant need for stories to be published and released to the public on time. Journalists are consistently working to finish their story and thinking of their next steps. Their driven attitude is attractive and something that is certainly hard to come by.

7. They do not mess around.

A journalist’s job is to find the truth and nothing but the truth. When you report news to the public, the news being reported must be cold, hard facts. A journalist does not dance around something if they do not know for a fact that it is the truth. This is the best quality of all. A relationship should be pure, true feelings that are just as true as the facts in the morning news.

Although I may be biased, journalists are great companions to share life with. Don’t let their work intimidate you. You never know until you try. 

Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.