The 7 Best Things To Do In Morgantown When A Winter Storm Hits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Storm Jonas has officially hit us, leaving the campus’ streets to be covered with snow. Some people will decide to use the cold weather as a chance to stay in and watch Netflix for the day, but it’s time to release your inner child. Don’t waste your time inside all day. Sooner or later, this snow will melt, and you’ll miss out on all of these great opportunities.

1. Sled down Woodburn Hill – This is a must before the day of graduation comes. Whether you have a sled, mattress, cardboard box, kiddie pool, or none of the above, you’ll have a blast sliding down the hill. 

2. Stop by Frat Row – What better way to celebrate the snow than to day drink at frat row? 

3. Head up to WISP – The best way to embrace the snow is by heading up to a ski resort. So grab a group of friends and make the journey!

4. Start a snowball fight – Oh c’mon, you know you’ve been tempted to do this the moment the snow started to fall. Grab a group of friends and prepare yourself for war!

5. Make some hot chocolate – The best thing for a cold winter’s day is to bundle up with a mug of hot chocolate. And if that’s too childish for you, throw some Baileys in it. 

6. Build a fort – The Green’s a perfect place to do this. Not only do you get a clear view of Frat Row and the craziness breaking out, but you have the Mountainlair right there to help keep your stomach full. 

7. Take some “candids” – With a gorgeous blanket of snow on the ground, take this opportunity and grab one of your artsy friends for a photoshoot. 

A junior at West Virginia University, Erin is majoring in Journalism (emphasis on Print) and working to achieve a minor in Creative Writing. Erin is currently the president of the Alpha Pi chapter of the national service sorority, Omega Phi Alpha, and is a member of the Alpha Pledge class. She plans to pursue a career in journalism and focus on arts & entertainment.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.