6 Tips to Stay Safe on Halloween Night at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

1. Plan Your Path

Before heading out for the spookiest night of the year, make sure you have a clear idea of where you and your crew will be heading, AND how you will be getting back home safely. Be careful who you trust as your best friends. Make sure that if anything were to ever happen to you, that they would not leave you stranded at a party. Also, it might sound weird, but plan if you are going to be going back with someone else that night, and let your friends know ahead of time. Too many times, girls decide they are going to go back to a guy’s place and then they blame their friends for not taking care of them.

2. Do not travel alone

While we’re talking about friends, make sure they are by your side the entire night. Do not let each other out of sight, and establish a meeting place in case any of you get separated. Now, I am not suggesting that you go out with 15 of your closest girlfriends, but try to stick with a small group that you can trust. On Halloween of all nights, there are going to be some pretty scary things out wondering in the dark. Treat your friends how you want to be treated.

3. Charge Your Phone!

Duh! Imagine this, you are at a house party, it is a friend of a friend’s, so you are not even exactly sure where you ended up. You get separated from your friends, but YIKES your phone is dead. Do not get yourself stuck in that cobweb. Take the time to plug in your phone while everyone is gluing on their lashes and putting on their cat ears. You will regret it if you don’t!

4. Bring a Flashlight

So, say you charged the phone but it gets destroyed during your crazy night out. If you get separated from your friends or step outside for some fresh air and wander a bit away, it is going to be pitch black dark outside. In order to find your way back to the party or to you and your friends’ meet up spot, you are going to need a flashlight. The one on cellphones works great if they are not dead. Otherwise, just put one on your keys’ keychain.

5. Don’t Eat Unwrapped Candy

This one might be a given to some people but for various different reasons. In college, nothing is what it seems. Don’t take the handful of gummy bears, don’t take a bite of the brownie, don’t try one of the “homemade” lollipops. Chances are, especially if these sweets were never wrapped in the first place, that they are laced with something harmful. Some people might say, “oh it’s just an edible, you’ll be fine.” No, you do not know what is in these sweets and it will not hit you until later when you are trying to pull yourself together to go home.

6. Stray from Strangers

We were all told as kids not to talk to strangers. On Halloween, strangers can get real weird. You probably will not be trick-or-treating, but you should be careful who you talk to. It is hard to know what people’s intentions are, especially if they are hiding under a mask. Stray from going into strangers’ houses or apartments on this night. Also, if you are on your way to a party and encounter someone dressed up on the street that is acting strange, do not talk to them. We are in college, things get weird, we all know this. If someone is acting weird around you it is probably not a good sign, so find somewhere else to break it down at.

Be safe and have a sick night witches!

Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.