5 Inspirational Books You Need in Your Life

We’ve all been there: reading slumps where we want a good book but can’t seem to find any that pique our interest. Some people look at their closet and cry, “I have nothing to wear!” But if you’re anything like me, you look at your bookshelf and say, “I have nothing to read!” So for those of you who know my constant struggle, here are five inspirational books that everyone needs to read this semester.

1. Eleanor & Park

John Green had a good comment about this book, he said, “Eleanor & Park reminded me not just what it's like to be young and in love with a girl, but also what it's like to be young and in love with a book.” This is definitely a book that I could read over and over again without ever getting tired of it. Set in the ‘80s, this book is about two high school kids who accept the risks of falling in love, no matter how it ends. Not only will this book tear at your heart, but it will also introduce you to some really great music, hint my new love for the Smiths.

2. Pride and Prejudice

This book is for all of the classic novel fans out there. There is a reason that this book is so admired and if you’re into feminism and hopeless romance, this is the book for you. Elizabeth Bennet’s character makes such a good role model and shows young readers that they shouldn’t have to settle in life. She refuses to listen to society when it comes to choosing comfort over happiness, which is an important lesson we all need. Overall, this is a great book full of wonderful lines that you’ll want to quote every chance you get.

3. The Hate U Give

This is a powerful book that will send chills down your spine and bring to light very important real-world issues. In a world where racism and violence are still a threat for many people, Angie Thomas brings these problems to light. This isn’t just a story, for many people, this is real life. Once you start this book, you won’t be able to put it down and once you finish it, you’ll immediately want to see the film.

4. Life as We Knew It

For my science fiction people, you really need to read Life as We Knew It. This book is about a family’s fight to survive when the moon is knocked closer to earth. The effects are terrifying, leaving the world to deal with tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes and more. Told in diary entries from one of the main characters, this book will have you realize how scary the moon really is and open your eyes to what it can do.

5.  All the Bright Places

An intense story centered around love and mental illness, this book is a must-read. You might want a box of tissues ready for all of the tears you cry, but once you get past that you’ll see what a beautiful novel this is. Prepare to fall in love with the main characters in All the Bright Places and realize that no one, even those in fictional worlds, is perfect.