5 Fashionable Ways To Wear Leggings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Leggings get a bad rap, but as temperatures drop, the super soft body-hugging pseudo-pants become oh-so irresistible; there’s hardly a Collegiette on campus that can say no to leggings on a cold snowy day. Although many deem the cotton-spandex blend sloppy, there are five ways to make leggings look more stylish than lazy.  

Activewear: Leggings made from high quality athletic material not only look way sleeker than the classic cotton kind, they have a much more flattering fit as well. Invest in a pair of these bad boys and they will be the foundation of your coziest looks for seasons to come.  

Monochromatic: Like all other fads, printed leggings are best left in the past. For a sophisticated appeal that just can’t compete with multicolored get ups, go for an all-black or an all-gray ensemble the next time you wear leggings. Don’t forget the lint roller!

Layers: Buried underneath piles of scarves, sweaters and other winter essentials, leggings go virtually unnoticed; a mix of different textures adds visual interest to an outfit, drawing attention away from the plain pants. Take the layered look a step further (and stay warmer) by rocking other seasonal staples, like beanies and knee socks.

Hair & makeup: When your face and tresses are done up, any outfit instantly becomes more put together—especially one that includes leggings. When you stick to a neutral color palette on your face (shades of black, gray and pale pink all work) and pull your locks into a sleek ponytail, you’re sure to be unstoppable.

The right shoes: Leggings are meant to be casual, so don’t try dressing them up with boots or heels. Instead, opt for a clean sneaker to polish off the relaxed look properly. No matter how busy your day gets, you’ll be much more comfortable on the move.

Madalyn is a journalism graduate student at West Virginia University. In 2016 she graduated with a B.S. in journalism from WVU. She also completed a minor in Spanish language, literature and linguistics. When she is not studying or working, Madalyn enjoys reading, exercising (especially running, hiking and cycling), playing with her dogs, art and fashion. 
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.