burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

5 Eco-Conscious, Sustainable Jewelry Companies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Jewelry and accessorizing are great ways to express yourself and compliment every outfit. Beautifully crafted jewelry comes in all shapes and sizes to fit your personal style and aesthetic. As consumer consciousness regarding the sustainability of the fashion industry grows and becomes a dominant and necessary conversation, this shift in consumer attitude also applies to jewelry and other accessories. Fashion, in general, has become a tool for raising awareness of prevalent social issues and many companies have various societal/environmental issues at the root of their goals as a brand. So whether you are into simple and dainty or bold statement pieces, here is a list of socially conscious and sustainable jewelry companies you should definitely know about.

Article 22: $$-$$$

All jewelry pieces from Article 22 are carefully handcrafted in Laos with recycled Vietnam War shrapnel and similar wreckage and fragments. Article 22 supports MAG (Mines Advisory Group) in their efforts to clear out unexploded bombs and other ordnance to ensure the safety of the land and those that live in the surrounding area. 

Raven + Lily: $-$$$

Specializing in more than just handmade sustainable jewelry, Raven + Lily promotes and focuses on female empowerment by supporting over 1,500 female artisans globally. The brand provides its artisans with access, fair wages and healthcare. 

Furthermore, all items are made from recycled and repurposed materials making Raven + Lily, one of the most well-rounded eco-friendly and fair trade brands on the market. 

31 Bits: $-$$

This brand’s mission is to “use fashion and design to drive positive change in the world by providing artisans with dignified job opportunities and inspiring customers to live meaningful lives.” All pieces from 31 Bits are made by talented artisans from all over the world, from Uganda to Indonesia. 31 Bits put profit back into their artisans’ communities and partners with other organizations to provide health care and treatment, counseling, financial education, and more. 

Fire & Honey $-$$

Fire & Honey’s pieces are thoughtfully handmade by designer and owner Jillian Schall. Schall’s goal with her brand is to produce her pieces as ethically and sustainably as possible, through recycled materials and genuine/fair-trade manufacturers. 

Starfish Project $-$$$

The Starfish Project focuses on supporting exploited women in Asia by providing them with sustainable jobs, healthcare, counseling, shelter and education grants. Through their Holistic Care Programs and Community Outreach Services, the Starfish Program has been able to employ over 130 women as artisans, graphic designers, accountants and managers. 

Zoë Skvarka is a senior MDS major at WVU. Zoë grew up living overseas, going back and forth between Turkey and Greece. Zoë is passionate about activism, fashion, alternative pop culture and art in all of its forms.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.