Culture > News

“18 & Stormy”: Supreme takes political stand in new collaboration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Supreme, a clothing brand known for its simple designs and bright red accents, teamed up with artist Richard Prince to design a new tee featuring an image overlay made of photographs of all the women that accused President Donald Trump of sexual assault.

Based on a composite image constructed of photographs, the design features all 18 women who have accused Trump of sexual misconduct and Stormy Daniels, the adult film actress that Trump’s attorney paid $130,000 for her silence right before the 2016 Presidential election. Because it features 18 women and Daniels, the work was accurately coined, “18 & Stormy.”

Prince drew inspiration from Ludwig Wittgenstein, the first to experiment with composite photography in the 1920s, and Francis Galton, an anthropologist who conducted composite photography experiments in the Victorian era.

Rather than diminishing or conflating the very different experiences these 19 women have lived or searching for facial resemblance as in Galton’s experiments, we searched for another commonality,” according to the Downtown for Democracy’s website. “’18 & Stormy’ highlights a different connecting thread. The clarity emerging from the fuzziness of the image is what each of these women implore: exposing the truth about their experiences with Trump.”

This was not Prince’s first time working with composite photography. In 2013, he created a composite image of all 57 women Jerry Seinfeld appeared on screen with during the run of famous tv show Seinfeld. This work is a more politicized version of that project.

100 percent of the proceeds from the $40 shirts will go to Downtown for Democracy. The line launched Thursday, Nov. 1 and sold out instantly (we’re sad, but you can buy a poster of his image here). While we don’t know if Supreme will restock the shirt, that doesn’t mean you can’t still support the cause they’re rooting for by supporting Downtown for Democracy and organizations like it. Voting in this year’s midterm election is also crucial.

West Virginia’s election is tomorrow, Nov. 6. Find your polling location and check your voting status here. Not a WV resident? You can find this information on your state’s Secretary of State website.

Kristen completed her undergraduate degree in journalism at West Virginia University in May 2019. She is currently pursuing her master's degree in the Integrated Marketing Communications program at WVU. During undergrad, she was the managing editor of Her Campus at WVU and editor-in-chief of Mirage Magazine in the 2018-2019 year. Kristen is currently the student editor at 100 Days in Appalachia and a freelance writer for West Virginia-based publications. Previously, she has served as the communications and marketing intern for the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, a writing and editing intern for New South Media and a photographer for the Daily Athenaeum. She is an avid fan of alt-rock, photography and advocating for women's equality and the prevalence of solutions journalism. Kristen hopes to one day report on internet culture and technology. 
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.