15 DIY Christmas Sweater Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

With the holidays approaching at a quick rate, it can often be hard to find that perfect Christmas sweater. From being too expensive to being shipped too late, many problems can arise when online shopping. Therefore, you should take matters into your own hands. With a cheap, blank sweater and basic supplies, you can harness your inner creativity and still have the best Christmas sweater at any occasion.

1. Light Up Sweater

If you want to be the light of the party, look no further than creating a sweater with battery operated lights.  The possibilities are endless: you can sew them in, slip them through a hole in the sweater or even just drape them across.

2. Christmas Tree Sweaters

The typical holiday sweater: the tree. You can decorate it as little or as much as you want.

If you want to one-up everyone and be close to an actual tree, you can!

3. Cap Sweater

Have a bunch of bottle (or beer) caps and don’t know what to do with them? Make a sweater.

4. Drink Holder Sweater

As we all know, the people of Morgantown love celebrating every holiday, Christmas included. If you plan on going to any parties, this is the sweater for you.

5. Present Sweater

A simple sweater to make last-minute, or if you don’t want to spend too much time or money on a sweater.

Or, if you’re feeling extra lazy, just cut out the bottom of a cheap Christmas bag.

6. 25 Days of Christmas Sweater

Counting down the days until December 25th? Look no further than making this interactive sweater for any occasion. You can even stuff the pockets with tiny gifts or snacks for everyone (or just yourself).

7. Tie Sweater

This is an easy sweater to make if you have some holiday-themed ties and a bow or ribbon.

8. Fireplace Sweater

Whenever the bitterness of the winter season sets in, everyone loves sitting around a fireplace. The crackling and warmth of the fire is so incredibly calming, so why not create these feelings of happiness into an awesome sweater?

9. Olaf Sweater

Still obsessed with Frozen? Was Olaf your favorite character? Do you need a family-friendly sweater? Make this.

10. Grinch Sweater

The Grinch is a staple holiday figure. With felt and some ribbon or feather boas, you can make this sweater that screams nostalgia for your childhood.

11. Grumpy Cat Sweater

Have a love-hate relationship with the holiday season? Are you the sarcastic friend or family member?

12. Couple Sweaters

No matter the age, homemade matching sweaters will always be relationship goals.

13. Reindeer Sweater

Has Rudolph always been your favorite reindeer? If so, maybe you should celebrate him this holiday season with a sweater.

14. Snow Globe Sweater

Or, if you don’t want to take the time to make a sweater, just throw a clear plastic bag over your body and pack it full of cotton balls or stuffing.

15. Christmas Bow Skirt

If you just aren’t into sweaters or even if it’s too hot for one (Morgantown shouldn’t be a problem for that), you can always make a simple skirt for the holidays. Christmas tree skirts also work as a wonderful (and easy) alternative if you don’t want to do much or are in a time crunch.

Whatever idea you choose, remember that you can personalize it to fit your needs. Have fun with it and have a sweater-filled holiday season!

Greetings! My name is Graeson Baker and I am currently a junior PR major here at WVU. For more info about me, feel free to check out my personal website at http://www.graesonbrooke.co.
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!