10 Things to Do When You’re Down in the Dumps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

You know those days whenever you’re just in a major funk? We’ve all been there and it totally SUCKS, right?  Here are some ways to lift your spirits whenever you’re in one of those moods:

1. Listen to upbeat music

When you’re sad all you want to do is listen to even more music and be even more sad. GIRL PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER AND LISTEN TO HAPPY MUSIC. Blast some tunes, grab your roomie (even if you’re roomie is a pet) and have a dance party.

2. Write it out

Writing out your feelings really does help, trust me. Even if you’re 4 pages deep and still have more to say, keep going. Once you’re down crumble the paper and throw it away, burn it, toss it out the window do whatever with it but kiss those sad feelings goodbye. SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED NOW GOODBYE.

3. Call a friend/family member

You can always depend on your friends or family to lighten your mood. They’ll tell you all about their day or bring up a memory from the past that is sure to make you laugh.

4. List positive things in your life 

Making a list of all of the positive things you have going for you in your life is bound to bring some happiness to you. You know writing down “finishing a whole bottle of wine” or “having left-over chipotle in my fridge” is bound to bring you some joy.

5. Drown yourself in food

Is this very unhealthy for you? Yes. BUT does it help? Absolutely. That’s all that matters right?

6. Workout

Doesn’t sound as good as drowning yourself in food, but it still helps! Go for a run, do some yoga, beat the crap out of a punching bag… whatever it is that will make the rain on your parade disappear.

7. Allow yourself to have a good cry

Sometimes you just need to get a solid 10-minute cry in to make yourself feel better, and that’s perfectly fine. Cry yourself a river if you have to, but just make sure to wipe those tears away after because everything will be OKAY.

8. Take a nap

Sleeping it off is the perfect way to escape the blues. If you’re lucky enough you’ll have a dream about the perfect date with your celeb crush. If that doesn’t bring the sunshine out on your cloudy day then go back to sleep and keep trying.

9. Take a shower or bath

This is the perfect time for you to wash away all of that sadness. Soak in your favorite scented suds and just relax

10. Just B R E A T H E.

Take deep breaths. Inhale, count to three, exhale. REMEMBER there are only 24 hours in a day. As a wise man once said, “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!