This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

What to do this Galentine’s Day

If you’re single this Valentine’s day, instead of moping around in your sweatpants and crying to sad movies throw a Galentine’s Day party! What is Galentine’s Day you ask? Originally on Parks and Rec it is supposed to be held on February 13th and is a day where according to Leslie Knope, “My lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast style. Ladies celebrating ladies.”

For me, this year Galentine’s Day will be on February 14th and include much more than breakfast foods. We are having a make your own heart-shaped pizza bar with all the toppings you want, cookie decorating, pink margarita making, and movie watching. I’ve been looking forward to it for weeks. Why be sad about not having a boyfriend when you can spend the evening drama free with your besties? It is a night of appreciating your friendships, not texting that frat boy, and eating yummy food. What more could you ask for?

Get someone to host, plan a dinner everyone is excited for, and then think about the extras! My extras include chocolate covered strawberries, grapefruit margaritas, brie pastry bites, candy, cookie decorating, and movies everyone will enjoy.

If you’re not feeling like hosting all your friends, take the party elsewhere. Go to the movie theater and see the new Fifty Shades, go to a restaurant and have a nice dinner, or chill at home alone! Alone time doesn’t have to be as sad as it sounds on Valentine’s Day. Treat yourself to a bath, a good book, and a good night sleep. Go for a walk, bake some cookies, or face time your friends.

Happy Valentine’s/Galentine’s Day Everyone! Hope your day was filled with love and chocolates <3