Find a Different Kind of Salvation this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

The holidays embody the spirit of giving and good deeds, but there is a special organization dedicated to supporting those that do not have the means to give that deserves recognition and may ring a familiar bell for holiday shoppers. The Salvation Army is a worldwide network established in 1865 by the evangelical part of the Christian Church with the goal of “doing the most good” for others. This organization relies year-round on the help of volunteers to raise money and collect supplies which are given back to the local community to relieve the pressure of social issues like poverty, human trafficking, education for children and veteran support (to name a few of many).

During the holiday season, the Salvation Army sponsors an effort to collect donations of food, presents, and spare change from shoppers to provide the chance for a happy holiday to those in need at the local level. Many volunteer each season to hold a bright red bucket at the front of popular supermarkets, regardless of the weather, and give their time so that Salvation Army can give to others.

For those looking to get involved, the branch of the Salvation Army closest to your community closest to your community can easily be located via their website, and is always looking for volunteers to make this season everyone can be thankful for. For the residents of Pullman, WA, the local branch needs volunteers for the holidays to be able to fully support their event Ring The Bells 2018. Volunteer opportunities are available in both the Pullman and Moscow areas at Walmart (Moscow and Pullman), Dissmores (Pullman), Shopko (Pullman), and Rosauers (Moscow). Shifts are between 2-4 hours (you choose) on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 2pm-6pm and can be credited for volunteer hours. The event will begin next week on November 23rd and continue until December 22nd, so the time frame to contribute closes fast. To get involved, contact the Palouse Salvation Army office at (208) 883-4823, or speak with Katie Drymon in person at the local store.

I am a Chemistry major who likes to keep my mind open to new opportunity. I aim to lift up others around me, and make the world I live in a more accepting place.
Campus Correspondent for WSU Chapter