5 Ways to Prepare for Winter in Pullman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

It is no surprise that winters in Pullman Washington are rough. It is tough to get to class when the wind is blowing and snow is flying into your face It is also well known that the city does not do much to make sure that the roads and sidewalks are clear. Looking put together, staying warm, and getting to class without slipping down the stairs are almost impossible. Lately, the weather in Pullman has been amazing but just in case that changes. Here are a few tips to hopefully make this winter a little bit easier. 

1.     Buy a pair of functional snow boots.

This is the best thing you will ever do for yourself. There is a very high chance you will be walking through a foot of snow. You do not want to be doing this is your trashed white converse. The biggest problem though is you want them to be cute.  There are tons of cute and stylish options that will allow you to not look like you have giant fur balls on the bottom of your feet. I am a fan of and I have noticed a lot of girls wearing in Pullman is Sorrels.

2.     Lotion, chapstick and coconut oil are your friends!

In the winter your body seems to dry up faster than you can put lotion on. Not only will your skin dry out, your hair and your lips. Make sure that you are drinking lots of water and be sure to keep that hydro flask handy. Keep your hair healthy by putting coconut oil in your hair and letting it sit for 20 minutes before you shower. As always make sure that you are also putting lots of lotion and chapstick on! This will also help you feel better. Check out some coconut oil hair masks here!

3.     Set multiple Alarms to help you wake up.

As the days get shorter and the air gets colder, it’s going to be even more difficult to get out of your warm bed. Don’t be the girl who misses class because she stays in her cozy bed. You can’t pass your exams with flying colors without Keep your phone away from your bed and make sure to set more than one alarm.

4.     Stay Positive.

Winter in Pullman can be long and cold. Remind yourself that maybe the reason you are so unmotivated is because of the cold weather. On the rare day that is it sunny in Washington,  put on a coat and sit outside for a bit. Get to the Chinook or the Rec Center and work out for a little. Remember that winter is not forever and soon enough we’ll be back in the sun.

5.     Layer your clothes!

This is crucial. As a college student, you go in and out of buildings and the temperature is constantly changing! You will go from freezing cold to walking into a building and overheating in about two seconds. If you layer your clothes you will be less likely to overheat. The best way to do this is to wear a t-shirt, sweater, light jacket, and then warm. Pinterest is a great place to see the best way to layer. This is max layering and you can add more or fewer layers. Be sure to look at Pinterest for cute layered winter outfits.

There you have it 5 tips to survive winter in Pullman!

I am a sophomore at Washington State University. I am getting a degree in International Business and am looking forward to a career in Non-Profit work! Be sure to check out WSU's Her Campus page!