5 Clubs to Join at WSU That You Probably Didn’t Know Existed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

As a freshman living on campus, I know what it’s like feeling overwhelmed by all of the student organizations, classes, and activities offered in the beginning of your first semester of college. If you’re not sure of what to join, try looking into a lesser-known club on campus! There are plenty of clubs that don’t get a lot of press attention so there could be one out there that is perfect for you. Here are a few I’ve found that look fun and interesting:

1. WSU Aerial Dance Society

This club focuses on aerial dance using poles, lyras, and silks. They have weekly practices and it is open to anyone, even if you have no prior experience. Events include a burlesque/cabaret show during mom’s weekend as well as regular showcases throughout the year. Meetings will be held in Chinook 30 and occasionally at the Student Recreation Center. Anyone interested in learning aerial dance should check them out! For further info contact them on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WSUAerialDanceSociety/?ref=br_rs

2. Residence Hall Association

This is a perfect club to join as a freshman because you are already living in a residence hall. The RHA has a council of students that represent the residence halls on campus. Their mission is to support, communicate, and advocate for student resident involvement on campus. They also communicate with other associations, for example, ASWSU. If you want to help provide a safe and fun environment for students living on campus talk to your RA in your residence hall!

3. Butch’s Baking Club

Who doesn’t love dessert? Butch’s Baking Club offers classes on how to make different types of dessert in Northside and Global Scholars hall. Meetings are monthly so don’t forget to add it to your schedule. The most recent item made was chocolate truffles! Everyone is welcome to stop by and make delicious treats for their friends! Check out their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/142619786476543/

4. Electric Longboard Club

If you’ve ever seen someone whizzing by on a longboard on their way to class, you better believe they are a part of this club. Electric longboards are becoming more popular on campuses because they make it a lot easier and faster to travel to class. It’s hard not to feel jealous of these students that get to ride up and down a hillside so effortlessly. The great thing about this club is that they rent electric longboards to students!  Meetings are held on the Terrell mall, go check them out if you’re interested!

5. Photography Club

The photography club on campus is meant to bring students that share an interest for photos and art together. No experience or expensive camera equipment is necessary. The club offers photo contests and critiques here on campus. Meetings are in Murrow 242 on Thursday’s at 5:00pm. Check out their instagram for examples of student’s photos.

I am a freshman at Washington State University studying Journalism and Media Production! I love hiking, listening to old records, and traveling!I have experience with writing professional news articles, adobe premiere pro, and photoshop. Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marissabelle_/
Campus Correspondent for WSU Chapter