20 Things to Know Before Traveling to Europe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

1. In a big city like 99.9% of people speak English…

2. GOING OFF OF THAT NEVER COPY THAT COUNTRIES ACCENT

3. Never be ashamed of eating all the pastries you can until you explode, cause we all know that there’s no competition between European pastries and United States desserts.

4. Bonjour! They love when tourists try to speak their language

5. A extra pair of shoes won’t kill your suitcase, but it’ll kill if your feet if you leave them behind

6. TRY ALL THE FOOD, even if it’s a small ice cream cart on the side of the street

7. Go to all the street markets & yes people might stare if you take pictures but you’ll always want to remember the color coordinated produce

8. Trust me your gonna want to plan out your instagram captions so you can fire out those bomb ass instagram pics

9. The cigarette smoke will engulf you and carry you away, jk but actually cigarettes are EVERYWHERE

10. If you want to fill in with the locals get used to eating dinner at 9 pm

11. In Europe naps are not only for college students and children, so kick your feet up and take that one o’clock siesta

12. They like to take strikes, sooo not only plan around your naps but plan around the strikes

13. Don’t feel ashamed to be that person that drinks wine at the foot of the Eiffel tower. Its beautiful and stoke it in.

14. When it’s hot outside. You basically melt like a cheese on a quesadilla

15. Try a hostel (but be SAFE & SMART about it). My parents met in a hostel while both her traveling, maybe it will be your turn

16. Skip signing up and paying a arm and a leg for a 3 day tour of the city. Do your research and take your time

17. Bring a water bottle, Europeans aren’t obsessed with drinking water like us Americans are

18. Don’t be that person that forgets a plug converter/ adapter ( AND bring more than one)

19. Have fun, love the country. And TAKE IT ALL IN BABY IT’S EUROPE

20. BE RESPECTFUL. Remember you are in their country, home town, neighborhood.

Writer for Hercampus at WSU
Campus Correspondent for WSU Chapter