Zach Matari ’16: Singer, Songwriter & Musician

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Name: Zach Matari 

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Montville, NJ

Major: Pop Music Studies

Hobbies: Travelling, soccer

Dream Job: “I aspire to inspire people by being a world performer.” 

Fun Fact: He’s an Aries, he listens to all of his music on vinyl, and one of the most important rituals before he sings is that he has to eat a bag of Lays. 

HC: When did you realize you wanted to be a singer?

ZM: I’ve been singing since I was really little.  I realized when I was about 15 years old that I wanted to be a singer because I performed at a benefit concert and loved it. 

HC: What type of music influences your personal sound the most? 

ZM: The musicians that influence my personal sound the most include Marvin Gaye, Led Zeppelin, Ray Charles, James Brown, Michael Jackson, and last but not least, Stevie Wonder. Stevie Wonder is my biggest inspiration.  Another thing that inspires me is the atmosphere and the people I am surrounded by. 

HC: If you could have a jam session with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

ZM: Definitely Stevie Wonder.  He is a musical genius.  I would love to take his advice and get tips from him to better myself. 

HC: What advice would you give to upcoming music majors?

ZM: Don’t be afraid to show people what you have.  Don’t be ashamed to show people your talent and music.  P.S. Don’t eat the Chinese food here! Also, be sure to check out the pool on top of the Student Center. 

HC: How did you hear about WPUNJ’s music program and what made you want to be a part of it?

ZM: I live nearby so it’s very convenient.  WPUNJ is number two in the nation for jazz.  I’ve only heard good things about this program. 

HC: Where do you see yourself two years after graduation?

ZM: I plan on definitely having a bigger following.  I would like to see my fan base grow, and I want to grow with them as an artist and a person.  I would love one or two Grammy’s under my belt or a Billboard #1 hit! 

HC: Name some of your most memorable and notable performances.

ZM: I performed at Bamboozle three times alongside Drake, Kesha, MGMT and Bruno Mars.  I have opened for Mario and Michelle Williams (of Destiny’s Child).  I have performed at the Nokia Theatre, and the Stone Pony Venue with artists that include R5, Fifth Harmony, Midnight Red, New Addition, and Saratoga Springs.  Just recently, I did a media tour in the Dominican Republic.  

HC: What has been your biggest accomplishment thus far in the industry?

ZM: My biggest accomplishment was doing an international tour in October 2013 that lasted for one month. Personally, one of my biggest accomplishments was finally knowing what I wanted to write about, what image I wanted to portray and what message I wanted to communicate to my fans and followers.  

HC: What are your goals for pursuing a career in music?

ZM: I would like to EGOT. For those of you that don’t know, this means I want to win an Emmy (E), Grammy (G), Oscar (O) and a Tony (T).  Again, I would like to continue to aspire to inspire and put out positive messages to my fans. 

HC: Who has been your biggest influence? Why?

ZM: My father has been my biggest influence because he has a great outlook on life.  He always says, “Don’t let anyone tell you what you can and can’t do.” He quotes Thomas Jefferson’s famous words: “Argue for your limitations, and they are surely yours.”

Want to learn more about Zach and see him perform at an upcoming event?

Follow him! 

FacebookTwitterInstagramYouTubeOfficial Website

Jenna is the Co-Founder, President and Social Media & Events Director of the WPUNJ branch of Her Campus.  She is a senior Marketing major with a minor in Public Relations.  In the fall 2014 semester, she interned with In Touch, Life & Style and Closer Weekly at Bauer Publishing in the public relations department.  In the spring 2015 semester, she is interning with Jaguar Land Rover North America in the network development department.  She is the Student Representative for the PR & Marketing Committee of WPUNJ, a MTV Trendspotter for MTV Insights and blogger of collegiate advice.  She is a member of Beta Gamma Sigma and Lambda Pi Eta honor societies, and will graduate Magna Cum Laude.  Previously, Jenna worked as a Student Ambassador and Tour Coordinator in the Admissions Office at WPUNJ, was a member of the Student Public Relations Association (SPRA) and was a publicity intern for Kim "Kim D" DePaola, owner of POSCHE Boutique in Wayne, NJ, who is featured on the Real Housewives of New Jersey.  Jenna's interests include dancing, shopping and hanging out with friends.  She loves everything pink and Britney Spears!