This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Kanye West premiered his Yeezy Season 4 collection at New York Fashion Week on September 7. The show has since gotten some pretty harsh reviews, some going as far as calling Kanye “Fashion’s Donald Trump,” (Chantel Fernandez via Twitter)

The temperature on the day of Kanye’s show hit 85 degrees Fahrenheit, and models were forced to stand stock still while they waited hours for the scene of the show to be set and for the guests to arrive. They weren’t provided water and some were wearing parkas and multiple layers of clothing. (Crazy right?)

The guests were told to arrive at a ready point an hour and a half before the show started to board a bus, and in Kanye fashion– didn’t tell them where they were going. The bus held the guests, which included many fashion magazine editors and critics, and took them to Roosevelt Island; more specifically, Four Freedoms Park.

During the show, guests were live tweeting their reactions to the show and their impressions of the treatment of the models, which is when Kanye was compared to Donald Trump. Guests also tweeted about the obvious discomfort models were experiencing due to shoe malfunctions and lack of care for the models.

One model, Amina Blue, who was one of the most recognized models in the show, kicked her heels off because they were plastic and in the scorching heat, her feet started to sweat and she almost slipped. She described the heels she was wearing as “plastic half-shoes” during an interview with The Cut.

However, since fashion shows are about the clothes, guests stayed to watch the show to completion in anticipation for another big Kanye performance, but their reactions to the clothes were dull, at best. Many of the clothes he put out for this show are repeats or recreations of garments he’s already made in the past.

One of the best reviews Kanye got on his Yeezy Season 4 line was from Tim Burton at Business of Fashion when he acknowledged how Kanye transformed what the fashion industry meant by “nude tones” all these years.

“What really stood out was how the colour palette captured a diversity of fleshtone,” Burton wrote. “All the years when fashion talked about “nude” as a trend, it meant your basic Caucasian. No longer.” 

So what do you think about the Kanye line and treatment of the models? Let us know by tweeting us @HerCampusWPUNJ!

Links:

Why Amina Blue Walked Took Off Her Shoes

Tim Burton’s Review of YS4

I'm a Communications major at William Paterson University. This is my first semester here as a freshman and I'm new to writing for Her Campus.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"